AYRSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > AYRSHIRE > 2003-05 > 1053385665

From: "Patricia Terpstra" <>
Subject: [AYR] Campbells of Treesbank, Riccarton, Ayrshire
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 18:10:51 -0500

I am interested in this Campbell family detailed in at least two Aryshire
family publications. If anyone is researching this family, or can add to
this information, please contact me.

James Campbell, second son of Sir Hugh Campbell of Cessnock, was the first
person to own this property (Treesbank). On 16 Dec 1672, James married Jean
MURE, daughter of Sir William MURE of Rowallan. Their children were:
George, Anne (who married a CUNNINGHAME), and Mary, who died at an advanced
age, unmarried in 1752. James was alive in 1730, but was deceased before
1742, when his son is given as proprietor of Treesbank.

George, his heir, married in 1708 to Ann BOSELL, youngest daughter of
David BOSWELL of Auchinleck. Their children were: James who first married
in 1764 to Helen McCREDIE and secondly in 1768 to Mary MONTGOMERIE of
Lainshaw, John (minister of Riccarton, who died unmarried), Anna who died
unmarried, and Jean who married Rev. George REID of Barwharrie [Barquharrie
??), minister of Ochiltree.

Can anyone add to the above information? Do I have all of the children of
James and George of Treesbank? (Please note, I am not interested in the
descendants of James who married in 1764).

This thread: