AZORES-L Archives

Archiver > AZORES > 2003-01 > 1043460466

Subject: Re: [AZORES-L] survey question (off topic)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:07:49 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2003 2:06:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> With out a doubt Azores Islands a History Volume 5 by James H. Guill is
> at the top of my list.
>
> Another is Livro Quarto Das Saudades Da Terra Volume 1 by Doutor Gaspar
> Frutuoso English Translation by Edna Phillips Kern

Hi Rick & Jeff,

I think Rick meant Volume 4, not 1. I think it is 8 volumes, but only vol. 4
was translated into English (Sao Miguel familes).

In addition, I'd put "Atlantic Islanders of the Azores and Madeiras" by
Francis M. Rogers, "We Protect" by Roger Leonard, "The Cross and the Pear
Tree" by Victor Perera, "Portuguese Spinner" by Marsha L. McCabe and Joseph
D.Thomas, "Azorean Folk Customs" by Cecilia Cardoza Emilio.....I think I have
a bunch in my Azorean handout that is on Lusaweb....let me cut a paste (it'll
be long!) There are also non-genealogical books too, but I don't have those
on this list.
Cheri
~~~~~~~~~`
BOOKS AND BOOKLETS
Many of these you can find in a public library (or through interlibrary loan)
or your FHC. A large bookseller may be able to order them for you.
Publishers are abbreviated as follows:
HQ: Heritage Quest, P.O. Box 329 Bountiful, UT 84011-0329 (801) 298-5358
GPC: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1001 N. Calvert St., Baltimore, MD 21202
Anc: Ancestry Publishing, P.O. Box 990, Orem, UT 84059
BB: Betterway Books, 1507 Dana, Ave., Cincinnati, OH 45207 (800) 289-0963

"A HISTORY OF THE AZORES ISLANDS" by James H. Guill. 45 years in the making;
662 pages. Only history book written in English on the Azores. Has
councils, churches, maps, and surnames. Excellent reference. Out of print.
Check with your library to see if it can be inter-library loaned.

"AMERICANS OF PORTUGUESE DESCENT: A LESSON IN DIFFERENTIATION" BY Francis M.
Rogers. A small book, excellent overview of the Portuguese migration. A list
of Portuguese "National" [Catholic] Churches; migration statistics to 1973;
minority status; etc. Beverly Hills/ London: Sage Publications, 1974. Sage
Research Papers in the Social Sciences, Series/ Number 90-013.

"AND YET THEY COME: PORTUGUESE IMMIGRATION FROM THE AZORES TO THE UNITED
STATES" by Jerry Williams. General, economic and statistical history of the
Azores. Indexed. Order from: Center for Migration Studies, 209 Flagg Place,
Staten Island, NY 10304.

"ATLANTIC ISLANDERS OF THE AZORES AND MADEIRAS" by Francis M. Rogers. Tells
about life and their values. (Doesn't say much on the Madeiras). Order from
The Christopher Publishing House, 24 Rockland St. Commerce Green, Hanover, MA
02339 (617) 826-7474. Call for price. They do take phone orders. Or try
your local public library.

"AZOREAN FOLK CUSTOMS" by Cecilia Cardoza Emilio, 102 pages. Culture, customs
and folklore. Topics: The Killing of the Pig, Terceira's Tourada a Corda,
The Festival of the Holy Spirit, Love and Courtship, St. John, The Long
Cloak, The Lenten Pilgrims, Old Azorean Festivals, Whale Hunting, The Folk
Songs and Dances, The Azorean Guitar, The Song Contest, The Windmills.
Order from the author: 4964 Saratoga Ave #5, San Diego, CA 92107. $13.50 +
$1.50 S&H.

"AZOREANS TO CALIFORNIA: A HISTORY OF MIGRATION AND SETTLEMENT" by Robert L.
Santos, 149 pages. A scholarly study about Azorean migration to New England
and then settlement in California. Includes history of the islands,
migration, culture, religion, etc. Order from: Alley-Cass Publications, c/o
Robert L. Santos, 3912 Tanager Drive, Denair, CA 95316. $18.17 inc. tax & S&
H. (Make checks out to Mr. Santos)

"A BARRELFUL OF MEMORIES" by Pauline Correia Stonehill. 257 pages. Contains
families of Cottas, Correias, Linhares and Vargas families of Los Banos,
Gustine, Newman, and Patterson CA & MA. Not indexed. Order from Corstone
Publishing, 4920 Anna Dr., San Jose, CA 95124-5140. $22.40.

"COMUNIDADE THE PORTUGUESE COMMUNITY IN LOWELL, 1905-1930." 84 pages. Book
of pictures (a little text) of the Portuguese at work and play in Lowell, MA.
Order from: Lowell Historical Society, P.O. Box 1826, Lowell, MA 01853.
$8.95 + $2.50 S&H. MA residents add 5% tax.

"THE CROSS AND THE PEAR TREE" by Victor Perera. A book about the history of
the name Pereira (Perera and Perreira). The family name was originally
Abendana and when forced to convert to Christianity they took on the name
Pereira which means "pear tree" or "pear orchard". The book mostly traces
the author's ancestral lines which left Spain, went to Italy, then Salonika,
then the middle east (before Israel), and finally Guatemala. There are two
chapters of general history of the name in Portugal and Spain and other
chapters on Pereira's in the Netherlands and in France. Knopf Publishing.
ISBN: 0-394-5851-5

"EARLY HISTORY OF THE ISLAND OF TERCEIRA" from the book by Fr. Jeronymo E.
D'Andrade (1845), translated by August Mark Vaz (1990). Order from the
author, 3833 Somerset Ave., Castro Valley, CA 94546. $12.65 inc. S&H.

"THE FARIAS CHRONICLES: A HISTORY & GENEALOGY OF A PORTUGUESE
/SPANISH FAMILY" by George Farias. Order from Borderlands Bookstore, P.O.
Box 28497, San Antonio, TX 78228. $50 + S&H.

"FINDING YOUR PORTUGUESE ROOTS" by Cheri Mello. 31 pages. A genealogical
guide that Cheri uses at her genealogy workshops. Contains hints on tracing
your immigrant ancestor, addresses, and translations of Portuguese documents.
Order from Cheri Mello, 3431 Artesia Blvd., #18, Torrance, CA 90504. $6.50
includes postage.

"THE FLIGHT OF THE HAWK ISLANDERS: AN AZOREAN EMIGRANT STORY" by Robert L.
Santos. The theme is family and their love for one another as exhibited in
their struggles on the Azores and in their migration to California. Order
from: Alley-Cass Publications, 3912 Tanager Dr., Denair, CA 95316. Make
checks to: Bob Santos. $22.50 including S&H.

"IMMIGRATION FROM AZORES TO HAWAII 1879-1883" by Robert S. deMello. Lists
(in English) of passengers, ships, origin, status. Also has pictures of
ships. Portuguese Genealogical Society of Hawaii has ordering information.

"THE LIFE AND TIME OF MARY RERO - PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANT TO HAWAII" by Larry
Rodriggs. About the author's grandmother who left the Azores in the late
1800s and went to HI. Work is in progress. Contact: Larry Rodriggs, 5333
Stirling Ct., Newark, CA 94560 (510) 792-1598.

"THE MELUNGEONS, AN UNTOLD STORY OF ETHNIC CLEANSING IN AMERICA" by N. Brent
Kennedy with Robyn Vaughan Kennedy. 156 pages. Interesting case study for
proving the Melungeons of the Cumberland Plateau area of VA, KY, NC, WV and
TN were indeed of Portuguese ancestry. Order from Mercer University Press,
6316 Peake Re., Macon GA 31210-3960. ISBN: 0-8655-4516-2

"PORTUGAL - A COUNTRY STUDY Foreign Area Studies, The American University by
E.K. Keefe, D.P. Coffin, S.M. Hicks, W.A. Mussen Jr., R. Rinehart & J. Simon.
A sociological, political, economic description and analyzation of the
country. A VERY good general information book on Portugal, Azores, Madeira &
Cape Verde Islands. Available through the FHC.

"PORTUGUESE BERMUDIANS--EARLY HISTORY & REFERENCE GUIDE 1849-1949. by
Patricia Mudd. I have no ordering information at this time.

"PORTUGUESE GENEALOGY SYLLABUS" by Doug da Rocha Holmes. Over 20 pages of
how to go about doing research. Very handy for the genealogist. Doug da
Rocha Holmes, 1035 Starbrook Drive, Galt, CA 95632. Or Internet:
$10 + $2 S&H.

"PORTUGUESE HAWAIIAN MEMORIES" by J. F. Freitas. It lists Portuguese
immigrants coming to Hawaii. Order from The Portuguese Genealogical Society
of Hawaii, 810 North Vineyard Blvd. #11, Honolulu HI 96817. $40 including S&
H.

"PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANTS --25 YEARS IN CANADA" by Domingos & João
Medeiros. I have no ordering information at this time.

"PORTUGUESE IMMIGRANTS: THE CENTENNIAL STORY OF THE PORTUGUESE UNION OF THE
STATE OF CALIFORNIA" by Carlos Almeida, Supreme Council of U.P.E.C., 1120 E.
14th Street, San Leandro, CA 94577. (510) 483-7676. A history of the
U.P.E.C. giving a picture and short biography of all the past presidents of
the Society. Also has an index of Portuguese names in California and their
English equivalents. $11.75 inc. S&H.

"THE PORTUGUESE IN AMERICA 590 B.C. - 1974, A CHRONOLOGY & FACT BOOK, by
Manoel da Silveira Cardozo. Has a 9 page bibliography and a surname index.
Available through inter-library loan.

"THE PORTUGUESE IN CALIFORNIA" by August Mark Vaz. This book has a full
chapter on Portuguese Societies, when they were founded, and the persons who
founded them. It also has the same information on the Portuguese Press (not
necessarily newspapers) and who founded them. Also, the same information on
churches in CA. Available through inter-library loan.

"PORTUGUESE PIONEERS OF THE SACRAMENTO AREA" by Lionel Holmes, 6430 Surfside
Way, Sacramento, CA 95831 (916) 392-1048 Published by the Portuguese
Historical & Cultural Society. History of the Portuguese in the Azores and
in California, specifically, in the Sacramento area. Also has a listing of
pioneer families and their descendants. Being reprinted (Fall, 2002). Write
to: PHCS, P.O. Box 161990, Sacramento, CA 95816

"OUR PORTUGUESE HERITAGE, 1860 - 1990: AN INFORMAL GENEALOGY OF 3,000
FAMILIES ON MARTHA'S VINEYARD", by Marianne Holmes Thomas. This is a
two-volume, 1,052-page, hard-cover genealogy of the principal Portuguese
families on Martha's Vineyard island in Massachusetts. The work, which
includes a 263-page, every-name index, was published in the summer of 1996 by
the Community History Project (CHiP), a non-profit organization located on
Martha's Vineyard in the Town Of Edgartown. The post-publication price of
the genealogy was $95.00, but only 300 sets of the first edition were issued
and the work is now out of print. As of January 2000, the plan is to publish
a revised (corrected, expanded and updated) second edition of the work around
2004. For information on the availability of the first edition of the
genealogy (in U.S. libraries) or for corrections and additions to the first
edition, contact Ann C. Allen, Director, CHiP, P.O. Box 575, Edgartown MA
02539. Phone: (508) 627-9428.

"ROOTS & BRANCHES OF PARKER & VIEIRA" by Eva Parker Newton and assisted by
David P. Parker & Edmund K. Parker Sr. About Parker and Vieira families of
Hawaii. 286 pages. Hardcover, $65. Order from Mrs. Leilani Parker, 1250 S.
Los Robles, Pasadena, CA 91106.

"ST. JOHN'S CEMETERY GRAVESTONE INSCRIPTIONS" by Gil & Pat Amaral. 230
pages. A nearly complete listing of all the gravestone inscriptions in St.
John's (São João Baptista) Cemetery in New Bedford, MA. Order from: APGHS,
P.O. Box 644, Taunton, MA 02720-0644. $39.95 + $3 S&H.

"THE SEARCH FOR ANTONIO AND MARIA" by Doris Machado van Scoy. Author's
search for her Azorean ancestors, who settled in Washington Township, Alameda
Co., CA and the island of Faial. Many local families are mentioned. Order
from the author, P. O. Box 1143, Los Altos, CA 94022. $16.95 inc. tax, S&H.
Almost sold out, I was told.

"STORIES OF CALIFORNIA AZOREAN IMMIGRANTS" by Robert L. Santos. Contains 166
stories of California Azoreans. Order from Alley-Cass Publications, 3912
Tanager Dr., Denair, CA 95316. $24 includes S&H.

"A TRIP TO THE AZORES OR WESTERN ISLANDS" by M. Borges de F. Henriques.
(1867, Boston, MA, written in English). Tells about Boston and visiting all
the islands. Makes you feel as if you are there. Available through
inter-library loan.

"TWO WEST ISLANDS--FLORES AND CORVO" by Mateus L. Fraga. In English. A
homespun tale written as a tribute to the land where the author was born.
Some genealogical information on early settlers and their plight. Order from
the author, 252 William Reed Drive, Antioch, CA 94509 (510) 757-1050. Cost
is $10

"VALIM FAMILY HISTORY" compiled by Anthony Valim. Family history of the
Valim/Valin/Valine family from Lajes do Pico, Azores and Alsace Lorraine,
France to America (mainly CA). Available through Modesto FHC and the
Taunton, MA library.

ART COEHLO has published little booklets of Azorean Stories that he wrote--he
will send you his publication list on request: Seven Buffaloes Press, Box
249, Big Timber, MT 59011.

This thread: