BALLARD-L Archives

Archiver > BALLARD > 1998-02 > 0887778168

From: DR CHRISTOPHER N SHEAP< >
Subject: [BALLARD-L] Quaker Cemetery, Caroline County, VA
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:02:48, -0500

>From the "Richmond (VA) Times-Dispatch" of 15 February, 1998 (p. C6):

"Ladysmith- Archaeologists located about 15 graves last week in a
little-known but historic Quaker cemetery in Caroline County.
The effort financed by the state's threatened-sites program, was
intended to find the limits of a burial ground from the 18th century.
The brief survey did not uncover conclusive evidence of an adjacent
18th-century Quaker meeting house identified by local historians.
"We're starting to get the answers we wanted to let the landowner
know where to stay away from," said David Hazzard, a Virginia
Department of Historic Resources archaeologist.
The burial site near U.S. 1 in the rural community of Golansville
drew publicity when it was inadvertently damaged in February, 1997.
The then-new landowner, unaware of the cemetery's presence, hired a
bulldozer operator to remove debris. Fieldstone markers may have
been moved from grave sites, but officials said the surface scraping
did not disturb any remains.
Local research has disclosed a Quaker community in the area by 1727,
with the first Society of Friends meeting held in a meeting house in
Golansville in 1739.
Historians found two marked graves in the Golansville cemetery,
where some believe 40 to 100 graves may be located."
Since some of our Ballard ancestors were associated with this
Caroline County Quaker community, I thought this might be interesting.
Kirk Sheap in VA

This thread: