BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1122955727

From: "Ron Gretz" <>
Subject: RE: [BANAT-L] AKdFF membership
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:08:47 -0500

Linda,

It is an assumption on my part of course that European Americans were
probably steered to the Pacific in the majority while the Japanese Americans
were sent to the Atlantic; most notably the 442 Regimental Combat Team which
was one of the most decorated units in Europe. It was probably much easier
for European Americans to blend into Atlantic combat units and I am sure
they were there in a variety of roles.

Everybody pretty much is familiar with the deportation of Japanese Americans
to camps in the US during WW2 under the guise of "protecting them" after the
attack on Pearl Harbor. The anti-Japanese sentiment was pretty strong in
America during that time. I would not be surprised in the least if German
Americans were in the Atlantic theater but would suspect that there was
still strong reluctance on the part of the War Department at the time of
using ethnic Americans in a combat theater where combat was taking place.

Ron