BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1123032063

From: "Dave Dreyer" <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] AKdFF membership
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 18:21:03 -0700

Ron;
It was a decision of the War Dept to send the 442nd and similar Jap units to
Europe because they thought there was too much chance that men would be
killed when they were mistaken for enemy troops if sent to the Pacific
Theater.
If you had relatives who were at bloody Iwo they had to be in the Marines
and if you were in the Marines you were in the Pacific Theater. There were
essentially no Marine units in the European Theater.
Just because one was of German heritage had no bearing where one was sent.by
the Army. One can find no end of accounts of German born, but naturalized
U. S. citizens who fought on the Allied side in Europe during WW II.
Pasted below is a note about a Banater, Heinrich Kaufmann(from Paul Subity),
in this case a Canadian, who was born in Setschan and who won a DFM for
action over the North Sea.
KAUFMAN, FS Henri Karl (R164464) - Distinguished Flying Medal - No.434
Squadron - Award effective 3 November 1944 as per London Gazette of that
date and AFRO 2637/44 dated 8 December 1944. Born 1921, Secanj, Yugoslavia;
home in Cottam, Ontario. Served in Essex Regiment; enlisted Windsor,
Ontario, 4 August 1942. Trained at No.2 WS (graduated 8 February 1942) and
No.4 BGS (graduated 4 October 1942). In F/O J. Wagman's crew. Medal
presented 29 May 1947.

As wireless operator (air), this airman has taken part in several sorties.
One night in August 1944, he participated in an attack on Kiel. While over
the target the aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire and sustained severe
damage. Nevertheless the target was successfully attacked. While over the
North Sea on the return flight the pilot was compelled to bring the
seriously damaged aircraft down on to the sea. Flight Sergeant Kaufman
remained at his post until the last moment and sent out distress signals,
which resulted in the entire crew being quickly located and rescued. His
coolness and efficiency in the face of a trying situation were most
commendable.

In general, military authorities of most countries are ready to take any
warm body in wartime without regard of place of birth.

Conversly one can find many examples of Banat men born in the U. S.(and thus
U. S. Citizens) who were taken back to the Banat as young kids when their
families returned to the Banat and who were later inducted into Axis forces
during WW II.

I am always surprised to see how many Banaters who died in the camps
1944-1947 were born in the U. S. and thus U. S. Citizens. Where was the U.
S. Government representing their interests while this was going on?

Dave Dreyer