BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1123547745

From: Leroy Rehmer <>
Subject: Tatoos
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 17:35:45 -0700 (PDT)

Listers,

I have several questions I hope someone can answer.

My great-grandfather, Andreas EISELE, arrived at Ellis
Island in Oct.1905 from Zadorlak. He was 32 yrs old.

1- His naturalization papers showed he had numbers
tatood on his arm. Can someone tell me why? Did the
Army do this? Or????
My aunt remebers seeing them. When she asked about
them, Grandma scolded her dad for not keeping the
tatoos covered. Why would she be ashamed of them?

2- Is Iadorlak the same as Zadorlak? The ship
manafest said they were from Iadorlak, but
Naturalization said Zadorlak.

3- In what province was Zadorlak? How do I find out
more information on Zadorlak and its people?

Thank you.

Lorraine

This thread: