BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1124242054

From: "Barbara Hilderson" <>
Subject: Re: Seeking tour guide in Budapest and Pecs
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 01:27:34 GMT

Joseph ,
We were in Budapest 3 yrs. ago, the Buda and Pest (Pecs) sides were very interesting. Across the chain bridge on the Buda side we came across a Catholic Church in the cave. There was a statue of the "Blessed Mother with child", absolutely enchanting.
Unfortunately I didn't think to ask if they had litho of the statue. There is also a Synagogue and museum , commemorating the Holocaust victimes, which you won't want to miss.
We stayed at a"Hotel B & B," spartan; but extremely clean , with a typical european breakfast , excellent variety, for then only $28.00 a night, ate at nearby hotels, never exceeding $12.00 per person,excellent authentic Hungarian foods, good wine selections , extremely reasonable. Also ate at 2 recommended restaurants,higher prices, my husband feasted on the Goose Liver. Every where the desserts were excellent. During the day when we toured, using the trolleys and underground we ate at small restaurants.
I had an medical emergency; and our "Hotel B&B" called their attending physician who could not come immediately, but sent another physician, who checked me more thoroughly than my GP here. The visit was......................$11.00 American dollars, the Cipro, .............$8.00 American dollars
The hotel sent their porter to get the script filled and delivered to me.
Even my "Brussels" Restauranteur Brother In Law is still raving about the people and accomodations.
My Bro.In Law had obtained a guidebook; and acted as our tour guide.
From what I read, we hit all of "The attractions"; and a lot of out of the way, authentic interesting places. My husband and I rode the trolleys and walked a lot.
The B & B was intersperced with private homes, all with gorgeous rose gardens,
I came away knowing more about my heritage and feeling pride in my Ancestors
Barb Hilderson
Still searching -DIX/TIX, STEMPER, ENGELMANN, and others

This thread: