BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1124845613

From: "P. Subity" <>
Subject: Translation needed and a question on illegitmate children
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:07:05 -0400

Talk about opening up a can of worms...

First of all I need a translation:

Eintrag in Bemerkungen: J. F. als Leiblicher Vater.

Now about illegitimate children, how were they listed in church
records, and aside from family rumours is it possible about 90 years
latter to find out the background of such children. Were they considered
" illegitimate?"

There are two family stories about WW1. Both my grandparents were
"living together" and had children. I understand that if they weren't
old enough to marry or the families did not approve, they couldn't get
married, they couldn't.

In my Grandmother's case the fellow went off to WW1 leaving Grandma and
her daughter and never returned. My Aunt is listed under my
Grandmother's maiden name, and there is no mention of her father,
anywhere.

Similarly, my Grandfather was "living" with a woman and she had a son,
and while he was away, and purportedly took up with someone else. When
he returned from WW1, he refused to go back with her. I think I have
found a record of the son, listed under his mother's maiden name and
the following Eintrag in Bemerkungen: J. F als Leiblicher Vater. I
have just put the initials.

I have names and a possible match in the records I have, but am not
sure.

These stories were never told to us, but are coming out know after
every one is gone.

I would like any insights into this...

This thread: