BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1124857348

From: "Rosina Schmidt" <>
Subject: a question on illegitmate children
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:22:28 -0700

Eintrag in Bemerkungen: J. F. als Leiblicher Vater.

= entry under 'Notes'.

J. F. as natural father

An illegitimate child was back than the same way alleviate as it is today. Being alleviate 90 years ago was not such a stigma though, as 150 years ago. At that time an alleviate child could not own property, could not learn a trade, etc. It was mainly to try to prevent children being born with no father to help raise it around.

Since your parents did not talk about the alleviate status of them or their parents, it was not an issue. In many instances the parents were just to poor to merry (marriage taxes used to be high), or they were forbidden to do so (a soldier, specifically an military officer could not marry for a certain period of time of his military duty).

In your Grandmother's case, it looks like the father of the child was killed in WWI, so they could not marry after his return.

In your Granddad's case, it looks like J. F. as natural father changed his mind. But things like that happen today.

Rosina