BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125091017

From: "Rosina Schmidt" <>
Subject: Banat's Donauschwaben
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:16:57 -0700

Hello John;

When you are anywhere in formal Yugoslavia and you say you are a "Schwob" the locals know exactly that you are speaking of what we here in North America call DONAUSCHWABEN.

When we are between ourselves then it simplifies the matter if we say we are Slavonian Schwaben or Banater Schwaben. We know that we are talking about the DONAUSCHWABEN from Slavonia or Banat.

But since our letters on this and other similar lists are also read by people who never heard about DONAUSCHWABEN, but know that somewhere in Germany are supposed to be some Schwaben it is a given that they will mix up those two different heritage tribes.

DONAUSCHWABEN are -as we all know- are the youngest Germanic tribe. So why hiding ourselves behind Banat or Slavonia or Tolna?

East of Banat lived since ca. 1100's the Siebenburger Sachsen, now in Romania. That is a Germanic tribe too. Do they call themselves just Sachsener? And if they do, would you know that they were talking about Siebenburgen? Same thing with Donauschwaben.

Nikolaus Engelmann's book "Die Banater Schwaben" was written for German audience in the German language and when he wrote it the meaning was understood only by the Donauschwaben who happened to be from Banat. If you talk today to a German with no DS roots he never heard about it. Most likely understands that there must be a village called Banat in Swabia.

Perhaps it is better to compare it as follows: If I am in England I will call a truck a lorry and here call it a truck.

Warm regards,

Rosina T. Schmidt