BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125098591

From: "P. Subity" <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] Banater Schwaben versus Donauschwaben
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:23:33 -0400

wrote:

> >From the BANAT-L archives, I find that the term "Donauschwaben" was only coined in 1920. This is after my ancestors immigrated to the United States. My family called themselves German on their immigration papers. What did other Banaters' ancestors call themselves?

I had never heard of the term BANAT until I started looking deeper into my family history. I had heard the term "Donauschwaben" on occasion growing up, but more often just 'schwaben' .

My grandparents referred to themselves German. Officially on their immigration papers and ship lists I have seen, they were Yugoslavian. I have my Grandma's passport and it is from Yugoslavia.

This thread: