BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125100715

From: "Dave Dreyer" <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] Birth on ship/Citizenship
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:58:35 -0700

Deborah;
There would be a record of the birth in Germany only if the kid was brought
ashore, taken to a church and baptised. If the ship was about to sail there
would have been no time to get all this organized. Moeover, one wonders if
once the 3rd class passengers were on bord the authorities would take a dim
view of any coming and going. More likely the parents took the kid into a
church on arrival and has it baptised in the U. S. Entry in the ship's
manifest constiuted a kid of registration if that is what you have in mind.
All the ships leaving from Hamburg pre WWI were Hamburg-American Line ships,
hence German
Dave Dreyer