BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125125656

From: Jerry Quint <>
Subject: Re: Fw: [BANAT-L] Banater Schwaben versus Donauschwaben
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:54:16 -0700

Chops

I to am from North Dakota, and was raised on a farm.

I just got back from North Dakota and I had my uncle Henry Sabo guide us
to the John Sabo homestead where he and my mother Elizabeth (Sabo) Gerber
grew up and it was a very hard life. from some of the stories my mother
told us.
The house was built into the hill,and was built with rocks and straw
mixed with mud together,and used to fill in between the rocks and around
the windows.
I remember being there when I was little.
I also took a lot of pictures of the place, and removed one of the rocks(
which happens to be a piece of petrified wood) from the house, and some
of the straw and mud plaster that was packed around the windows.
I plan on taking it all to Mt Angel next year, can't make it this year as
we will be getting ready to leave for Germany and the Banat.

Ellie Gerber-Hitchrick-Quint
Sacramento ,CA

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:01:08 -0700 "David Jackson"
<> writes:

> Chops,
> The North Dakotans were the best. Talk about hardships and yet they
> raised
> their families to be respectful, church going, good people. You
> have a
> right to be proud. Only wish I had my North Dakota father and
> grandparents
> here to cheer you on. Think Grandpa probably came to North Dakota
> from
> Hungary with a wife, daughter and a set of carpentry tools and built
> a house
> and raised a family with a few tools to support them. I have heard
> one barn
> anyway is still standing. It would have been built between 1913 and
> 1943.
> Marcia

http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599
&targetid=5429