BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125247974

Subject: RE: [BANAT-L] Transylvanian Saxons
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:52:54 +0000

Steve,

This is the information that Gert Liess, a descendant of the Transylvania Saxons (Siebenbuerger Sachsen), gave to me about their history. I've translated this from German for your convenience.

"The Siebenbuerger Sachsen settled 850 years ago in the area between east, south, and Westkarpaten. They originally came from the area that is now Luxembourg, south Belgium, and West Germany. All Siebenbuerger Sachsen have been of the Evangelist faith since the reformation of Martin Luther in the 16th century."

I deleted most of my Siebenbuerger Sachsen links when I realized that they weren't related to my Banater ancestors. However, here's a link to a brief Transylvanian history: http://www.geocities.com/transmagyar/Part_1_.htm See especially the sections on the 9th, 10th, and 12th centuries.

Best regards,

Cindy

This thread: