BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125260336

Subject: RE: Transylvanian Saxons
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:18:56 +0000

Thanks, Nick. I should have included that link instead. Wikipedia is better source.

For those interested in Transylvania Saxons, I received the following websites from the moderator of the Lowlands List ():

Some resources (in German):
http://www.sibiweb.de/mundart/sprache.php3
http://members.aol.com/GertLiess/Wb.htm (dictionary)
http://www.siebenbuerger-sachsen-bw.de/buch/sachsen/12.htm

English (& German):
http://www.holger-saarmann.de/texte_vijeltchen.htm (medieval song!)
http://www.hungarian-history.hu/lib/minor/min01.htm

The Transylvanian Saxons have the same naming problems as we do with the word Schwaben. The area in Germany called Saxony today (where my father-in-law is from, by the way) was named after a Saxon aristocrat and has nothing to do with the Saxony area that the Transylvanian Saxons came from. My husband considers himself Saxony-American, but a Lowlander assures me that my husband's ancestors have "stolen" the name from the true Saxons who are from Northern Germany and the eastern parts of the Netherlands.

Best regards,

Cindy Quitta

This thread: