BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125262552

Subject: RE: Donauschwaben
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:55:52 +0000

George,

I thought that German-Hungarian would be a good solution, too. It's English, so I can pronounce it (unlike Donauschwaben). However, this would include the Transylvanian Saxons, too. The Transylvanian Saxons see themselves as a very distinct group from the Donauschwaben. They were in Hungary for about 600 years by the time our ancestors came along.

Using the Danube and Swabian together does seem like a misonomer, because people won't readily understand that it means that they merely traveled through the area and used the Danube River, from what I'm understanding. It's like calling my Oregon pioneer ancestors the "St. Louis Missourians" just because that was their jumping off point when they headed for Oregon.

So what to do? Are we the New German-Hungarians? The word "new" was added to a number of the village names (neu, nei). Is their a geographic feature or region name in Hungary that would emcompass all our ancestors? If so, did the Germans have a name for the area? From what I understand, our ancestors were so isolated from each other that each town developed its own dialect, so there might be multiple names for the area.

Like my ancestors who had to deal with three or more languages in everyday life, I'll adjust myself to whatever people want to call it--even if my husband has to help me pronounce it.

Best regards,

Cindy

This thread: