BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125287162

From: J&H Helbrecht <>
Subject: Canadian you say?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:46:02 -0600

Barb,
My mother in-law wraps its up with one word. She calls her grandchildren
"mixits"
Jean

When do we no longer refer to ourselves as Germans?
I was born 3 months after my parents arrived in Canada with their two older sons born in Austria. My parents were from the same Banater village and trace their roots to the earliest settlers.According to the Canadian census ones mother tongue is the language first heard as a child. This would be for me german, although nothing at all similiar to high german. However english would apply to the youngest of my 9 siblings. Where it gets tricky for my children is their father has parents from Britian. Are they therefore English/German Canadians that have been assimilated into English-Canada as opposed to French-Canada.
When pressed for an answer, I consider the fact that my children's grandfathers and great-grandfathers fought on opposite sides in the world wars. I tell them that they are the products of peace, which makes them true Canadians.
Barb

This thread: