BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125326767

From: "Nick Tullius" <>
Subject: RE: [BANAT-L] begejci torak
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 10:46:07 -0400

Ted,

One of the languages is Romanian (which I understand); the other is either
Serbian (or Croatian? neither of which I understand).

The intro translates as following:

Toracul (Mic si Mare), respectively Begheiţi of today, are part of a row of
ancient Romanian settlements in the Yugoslavian Banat. It is located on the
left shore of the Bega canal, once called Little Temesch, at the crossroads
of the highways that lead from Zrenianin towards Timisoara and from Kikinda
towards Vârşeţ.

Note that Zrenianin (or Zrenjanin) is Großbetschkerek (German) &
Nagybecskerek (Hungarian).
Timisoara = Temeswar; Vârşeţ = Werschetz; Kikinda = Großkikinda.

I hope this helps,
Nick