BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2005-08 > 1125328596

From: "Rosina Schmidt" <>
Subject: begejci torak
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 08:16:36 -0700

Ted,

The other language is Serbian using the Latin alphabet. If you click on the photo showing the flood in the village you will see the Russian alphabet.

The introduction says the same as Nick translated it from Romanian.

Rosina

Ted,

One of the languages is Romanian (which I understand); the other is either
Serbian (or Croatian? neither of which I understand).

The intro translates as following:

Toracul (Mic si Mare), respectively Begheiþi of today, are part of a row of
ancient Romanian settlements in the Yugoslavian Banat. It is located on the
left shore of the Bega canal, once called Little Temesch, at the crossroads
of the highways that lead from Zrenianin towards Timisoara and from Kikinda
towards Vârºeþ.

Note that Zrenianin (or Zrenjanin) is Großbetschkerek (German) &
Nagybecskerek (Hungarian).
Timisoara = Temeswar; Vârºeþ = Werschetz; Kikinda = Großkikinda.

I hope this helps,
Nick