BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2006-01 > 1138487882

From: "Steve Herold" <>
Subject: RE: [BANAT-L] Re: preferred software program?
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:38:02 -0800

One product that gets favorably mentioned by genealogists is The Master
Genealogist http://www.whollygenes.com/
They have a trial version that can be downloaded.

I tried the trial version of The Master Genealogist and found it rather
complicated and with perhaps more capablities than I require for my needs.

I decided to go with the Standard Version of Family Tree Maker 2006. The
user interface is much better than it was in my old 2003 version.

You might try taking a look at reviews/comments at Eastmans's Genealogy
Newsletter http://blog.eogn.com/

If you have your own domain name and are interested in an Internet based
version of a genealogy program you really need to check out The Next
Generation. http://www.lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php Highly
recommended!
You can check out reviews of it at Eastman's site
http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2006/01/the_next_genera.html#
more or
Genealogy Software News http://www.genealogysoftwarenews.com/ or Random
Genealogy http://randomgenealogy.com/

This product is very different from your desktop genealogy programs. The
data is entered and stored on your database on the Internet. You can let
family members or other add information which is a great way of
standardizing the information for a family. You can see a great customized
site at http://www.genmayle.com/gen/ Click on Surnames.

If you are comfortable with technology and interested in something like this
you can send me a message. The Next Generation Software costs $25.00,
registering your own domain is around $9.00 a year, and having your own
website will cost around $9.00 per month.

Steve Herold