BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2011-04 > 1303055467

From: Catherine Teufel <>
Subject: [BANAT-L] Question on WWI draft and reasons for Banat immigrating
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 08:51:07 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To: <mailman.545.1303023682.32601.banat@rootsweb.com>

Hi Kat,

I believe the military was an issue for many who emigrated to the US. This link might be useful:  http://www.felix-game.ca/html_files/humilit.html   .  A bit of googling should bring up even more information.  You can imagine how this would affect those who farmed for a living.  I also recall that men in the military were discouraged from marrying.  The military experts on this list might be able to provide more information about this.

Good luck with that report.

Sincerely,
Cathy Teufel O'Neill
Mercydorf Village Tree

--- On Sun, 4/17/11, <> wrote:

From: <>
Subject: BANAT Digest, Vol 6, Issue 104
Date: Sunday, April 17, 2011, 3:01 AM

Today's Topics:

1. Research Questions... (Robert J. Bohland)
   2. Familienbuch conflict (Robert Evensen)
   3. Re: Familienbuch conflict (Amy Nichols)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 07:43:40 -0400
From: "Robert J. Bohland" <>
Subject: [BANAT-L] Research Questions...
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="iso-8859-1"

Dear Kat:

I was told by my father that my grandfather left Mramorak prior to 1906 for
exactly the same reasons as stated in your second paragraph.  My grandfather
had at the time a wife and several members of what would become an even
larger family.

I don't know if any of the reasons in your third paragraph applied except
for having more opportunity.

Not everyone left in the extended family.  I have second cousins who spent
time in Rudolfsgnad after World War II was over.

Robert J. Bohland; CMfgE
6470 Strausser Street N. W.
North Canton, Ohio 44720
Ph/Fax 330-499-3105

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:43:11 -0400
From: "Kat Lang" <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] [BANAT-L} Question on WWI draft and reasons for
Banat immigrating
To: "'Rosina T Schmidt'" <>, <>
Cc:
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Dear List:
My daughter is assigned an interview and research paper for a college
history class regarding her family's immigration story.

She needs to know why her gr grandparents left the Banat.  Since they are
long passed, she must rely on me.  I was told that my paternal grandparents
left because they didn't want my grandpa to be forced into the military, but
they left in 1912, which was early for the WWI draft issues, right?  And he
was 11 at the time.

My other grandparents arrived in 1906 from Hatzfeld and their reason was
that circumstances were changing in the Banat in a negative way for the
germans there, so they came to America for opportunity.  Does this sound
feasible and does any one know what those changing issues were?  Couldn't
buy property?  Couldn't vote?  Something like this, perhaps? I had read
somewhere that nationalism at this time caused negative feelings towards the
transplanted germans.  Were they treated badly?  This family was prosperous
in Hatzfeld and they faced really difficult years in America.  I often
wondered if they thought the decision was a mistake (until WWII of course
when those remaining in the Banat disappeared forever...)

I am very grateful for your insight into these questions!
Warm regards,
Kat Lang

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:41:02 -0400
From: "Robert Evensen" <>
Subject: [BANAT-L] Familienbuch conflict
To: "Banat" <>
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="iso-8859-1"

I have a problem and not sure how to solve it.  For those of you who have the FB Lenauheim and FB Bogarosch, you may better understand the conflict.

In the FB Lenauheim there are records for Johann Bitto, son of Johann Bitto and Anna Christina Gerber (B628).  He is born 9 Oct 1831.  It says he is married to Sophia Marx 17 Nov 1856 in Neusiedel.  Also in the FB Lenauheim it is recorded that Johann Bitto, son of Johann Bitto and Elisabeth Bernardt (B625) is born 31 Jan 1856.  It says he is married to Maria Anna Haidi 28 Jan 1850 in Bogarosch.

When you search the FB Bogarosch, you can find the same two families, except the wives are connected to the other Johann Bitto (b309 and b310).

There is an obvious conflict.  One of the FBs is correct, the other is wrong.  Without seeing the actual marriage records, it is difficult to tell. I thought I writing to Dietmar Giel and Ewald Sprang, but my German is not good enough to explain the conflict.

In this case I am related to both Johann Bitto's, so I would like to get the descendants straight as to their ancestors.

Any thoughts?
Robert Evensen

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:08:02 -0400
From: Amy Nichols <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] Familienbuch conflict
To: Robert Evensen <>
Cc: Banat <>
Message-ID: <>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Robert,

I've had issues like that arise and have emailed Ewald Spang about them.  I
used the Google Translate program by going back and forth from the
translation to what I was trying to say, until I got it to where I thought
it would make sense to him (if that makes sense).  Mr. Spang was responsive
and receptive to the error and was able to tell me where the error was made
and what the correct information was.

I'd give it a try if I were you.

Amy Nichols

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Robert Evensen <>wrote:

> I have a problem and not sure how to solve it.  For those of you who have
> the FB Lenauheim and FB Bogarosch, you may better understand the conflict.
> In the FB Lenauheim there are records for Johann Bitto, son of Johann Bitto
> and Anna Christina Gerber (B628).  He is born 9 Oct 1831.  It says he is
> married to Sophia Marx 17 Nov 1856 in Neusiedel.  Also in the FB Lenauheim
> it is recorded that Johann Bitto, son of Johann Bitto and Elisabeth Bernardt
> (B625) is born 31 Jan 1856.  It says he is married to Maria Anna Haidi 28
> Jan 1850 in Bogarosch.
> When you search the FB Bogarosch, you can find the same two families,
> except the wives are connected to the other Johann Bitto (b309 and b310).
> There is an obvious conflict.  One of the FBs is correct, the other is
> wrong.  Without seeing the actual marriage records, it is difficult to tell.
> I thought I writing to Dietmar Giel and Ewald Sprang, but my German is not
> good enough to explain the conflict.
> In this case I am related to both Johann Bitto's, so I would like to get
> the descendants straight as to their ancestors.
> Any thoughts?
> Robert Evensen
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
> in the subject and the body of the message

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of
battle."

------------------------------

To contact the BANAT list administrator, send an email to

To post a message to the BANAT mailing list, send an email to .

__________________________________________________________
with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body of the
email with no additional text.

End of BANAT Digest, Vol 6, Issue 104