BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2011-04 > 1303327063

From: "Dave Dreyer" <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] [BANAT-L} Question on WWI draft and reasons forBanatimmigrating
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:17:49 -0700

Kat;
More than 90% of the Banaters who came to North America came for economic
reasons. If you go to;
http://www.genealogy.ro/cont/15.htm
you will find that Sorin has laid out the problem in some detail.
About 20% of the migrants returned to the Banat with the money they had
saved to establish themselves in their native villages. The remaining 80%
found a life of better prospects here in North America.
Conditions for Donauschwabs in Hungary were no worse then it was for other
ethnic minorities and in most cases was much better.
Dave Dreyer