BANAT-L Archives

Archiver > BANAT > 2011-07 > 1310093705

From: "Dave Dreyer" <>
Subject: Re: [BANAT-L] Robtbach, Romania
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 19:55:05 -0700

Robert;
When your message came I put robtbach into Google. Up came your old
messages on this subject. I was taken with the response by Cathy which
suggested that it was Rohrbach which is a perfectly good German sounding
place name. The problem is that there are too many Rothbachs in German
speaking areas of Europe.
The key was finding the passenger ship record for Johann Leks. I'm sure you
have seen this entry for Johann Leks who came in 1905 at the age of 19 and
was from Veresmart/Romania. I have been locked out of the Ellis Island site
so cannot immediately give you further details of the passenger ship record.
Anyway when I put "Veresmart + Romania" into Google I find an entry with
the address;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Josephinische_Landaufnahme_pg259.jpg
which is essentially a 1773 map of part of the Kronstadt district in
Siebenbuergen. Among the villages in this district listed below the map is
Veresmart v Rothbach.
When I find this district on my modern Romania map I find it just to East of
Hermannstadt. It will take some patient looking to find Veresmart on the
map.
Monika Ferrier, one of the founders of the Banat list has created and
maintains a massive database of Siebenbuergers on the web. It has been some
years since I have looked at Monika's database but you might look for it.
Very likely she has Johann Leks already in her database. Moreover if you
have additional information on John Leks Monika likely would appreciate
knowing about it.
Dave Dreyer