BARNES-L Archives

Archiver > BARNES > 2010-03 > 1269902894

From: Larry Barnes <>
Subject: Re: [BARNES] Barnes/Robinson, Maryland, early 1700's
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:53:42 -0700 (PDT)

Afternoon Walt,
My James Barnes died in Nelson Co., Ky. in late 1795. Going by the age of his last wife, Hannah Hynes b. 1721 Ireland, he was likely born about 1715-1720. A 2002 DNA test links me to a descendant of James Barnes and Keturah Shipley of Anne Arundel Co., MD., so my James descends from them or shares a common ancestor. My James traveled from Baltimore to near the Bedford Co./Somerset Co., PA. border in 1777 and settled there at Barnes Gap with others, but the (PA.) county history doesn't identify them. I don't know about his first wife or wives, but he had children Abel, Elizabeth, Ruth, Nancy Bell, Samuel, Elijah, Jemima and Archibald. DNA does connect James with neighbor Caleb Barnes near Barnes Gap (PA.). At this point I don't know anything further about my James' early years.
Larry E. Barnes
Wichita, Ks.