BARRETT-L Archives

Archiver > BARRETT > 1998-10 > 0909038769

From: "Alice Raven" <>
Subject: [BARRETT-L] RE: Thomas BARRETT
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:46:09 -0500

Dear Dan,

>>Thomas Barrett
born: 1591c, nr Norwich, Norfolk, England
died: Oct 6, 1668 in Chelmsford, MA, USA
spouse: Margaret nee Ward ?, died July 8, 1681 in Chelmsford, MA, USA<<

Thomas may not have been born in Norwich -- he is frequently misidentified
as the son of Christopher Barrett, who was Mayor of Norwich and had a son
Thomas born about the same time; however, it turns out that Christopher's
son Thomas died in Norwich in 1685, so definitely is not our man. Another
rumor I haven't been able to confirm or disprove is that Thomas was the
brother of Humphrey Barrett, who settled in Concord, and of John Barrett,
who settled in Taunton and had no issue.

Here's a quick summary of the immediate family:

Thomas Barrett was born on 6 Jan 1607/8 in England. He immigrated in 1635
to Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He took the oath of freeman in 1645
in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He bought land from Michael Saunders
and Francis Elliott in 1651 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He signed
a will on 1 Mar 1662 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts. He died on 6
Oct 1668 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts. He had an estate probated
on 6 Oct 1668 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts. He was one of the
earliest settlers in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He was a
"comparatively large proprietor of lands".

Thomas Barrett was married to Margaret (Margreatt) ?? Mrs. Barrett in 1629.
Margaret (Margreatt) ?? Mrs. Barrett was born about 1606 in England. She
was was mentioned in the will of her husband Thomas Barrett on 1 Mar 1662.
She died on 6 or 8 Jul 1681 in Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts. Thomas
Barrett and Margaret (Margreatt) ?? Mrs. Barrett had the following children:

I. Lieutenant John Barrett was born between 1625 and 1631 in England. He
immigrated in 1635. He was granted land in 1659 in Chelmsford, Middlesex,
Massachusetts. He resided in 1659/60 in Chelmsford, Middlesex,
Massachusetts. He was mentioned in his father's will on 1 Mar 1662. He
served in the military in 1676 in Capt. Thomas Prence's Company, King
Phillip's War. He died on 5 Sep 1694. He died on 19 May 1706 in
Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts. He served as tithingman. He was a
mill owner. He married Sarah Bate in 1655 in Braintree, Norfolk,
Massachusetts.

II. Mary Elizabeth Barrett was born between 1630 and 1634 in England. She
died on 2 Feb or 2 Apr 1657 or 12 Apr 1658 in Braintree, Norfolk, or
Chelmsford, Middlesex, Massachusetts. She married Shadrach (Sydrick) Thayer
on 11 Feb 1654 or 1 Jan 1655 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts.

III. Thomas Barrett Jr. was born about 1635 in England or Braintree,
Norfolk, Massachusetts. He moved from Braintree about 1660 to Chelmsford,
Middlesex, Massachusetts. He was mentioned in his father's will on 1 Mar
1662. He conveyed a house and 30 acres of upland and meadow to son-in-law
John Swallow on 8 Jul 1700. He died on 8 Dec 1702 in Chelmsford, Middlesex,
Massachusetts. He married (1) Frances Woolderson on 14 Jul or 14 Sep 1655
in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts. He married (2) Mary Dike on 22 Jan
1694/95 in Milton, Norfolk, Massachusetts.

IV. Joseph Barrett Sr. was born between 1639 and 1650 in Braintree,
Norfolk, Massachusetts. He was mentioned in his father's will on 1 Mar
1662. He took the oath of freeman in 1676 in Chelmsford, Middlesex,
Massachusetts. He died on 31 Oct 1711 in Chelmsford, Middlesex,
Massachusetts. He died on 17 Dec 1711 in Chelmsford, Middlesex,
Massachusetts. He married Martha Gould on 17 Sep 1672 in Chelmsford,
Middlesex, Massachusetts.

V. Margaret Barrett was born about 1647 in Braintree, Norfolk,
Massachusetts. She married Joseph Parker.

I'd be happy to supply anything I have in the way of more information,
sources, etc. -- just ask! I'd also be glad to hear of any corrections or
additions to what I listed above. I am descended from Thomas' eldest son
John.

Best regards,
Alice Raven
mailto: <--Please note new address
Raven Genealogy and Family History: http://genweb.net/~raven/home.htm

born: 1591c, nr Norwich, Norfolk, England
died: Oct 6, 1668 in Chelmsford, MA, USA
spouse: Margaret nee Ward ?, died July 8, 1681 in Chelmsford, MA, USA

Your help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Dan Barrett
Canada