BASS-L Archives

Archiver > BASS > 2007-03 > 1174667248

Subject: Re: [BASS] John Bass
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:27:28 EDT

Unfortunately, this perpetuates several misconceptions. The source is not a
Bible but a sermon book. Photos of the book can be found on the web and in
Helen Roundtree's book, Pocahontas' People. The sermon book inscription
names John's wife as "Elizabeth, dafter of the King of ye Nansemuns Nation" . No
Keziah, no Robin the elder. I don't know how the name Keziah got into the
mix. Mrs. Bass was a full blooded Nansemond Indian and as such had an Indian
name. When she was baptized, she took on a Christian name, in this case
Elizabeth. In the same way Pocahontas gave up her Indian name and was baptized
as Rebecca and took her husband's surname, Rolfe. Keziah is not an Indian
name as some have suggested. It is found in the Bible as a daughter of Job. It
comes from "cassia", a kind of spice.
Other documents suggest that John Bass and Keziah had a number of children.
Everyone accepts that John and Keziah are one and the same as John and
Elizabeth, mainly because the descendants of John and Keziah have the sermon book
with John and Elizabeth's names.
Albert Bell, who published Bass Families of the South, also names John's
wife as Keziah Elizabeth, daughter of Robin the elder, but offers no
documentation. The family itself has in recent years said he was wrong, one of many
misrepresentations and outright fabrications in the book.
And don't even get me started on the Richard Bass mess.
I'm not trying to cause trouble, just doing what I can to put out a rumor
that has taken on a life of its own.
Curtis Bass

In a message dated 3/23/2007 11:53:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,