BASTIN-L Archives

Archiver > BASTIN > 1997-07 > 0869892062

From: Gary Bastin <>
Subject: Re: Bastin of Tennessee
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:41:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997 wrote:

> My Bastin family is from Hickman County, Tennessee. My grandparents were
> John Bastin & Mattie McClearen. My great-grandparents were Baswell Brown
> (BB) Bastin & Sarah Hattie Cotham. My great-great-grandparents were Thomas
> (b. 1811 in North Carolina) and Nancy Bastin. There were quite a few kids
> for each generation. Does anyone have any information who Thomas's father
> was.
> Mary

Hi Mary! Welcome to our list!

Just before you joined our list, there was on lead on this portion of
the BASTIN family that appeared. It is attached at the end of this message.

As far I know, Thomas's father has not been identified to date, although
Kandy Smith may have more information.

There is a Stephen Bastin listed on the 1820 Tennessee US Census for
Lincoln County, TN (pg. 6 of census). I do not know how or if he is
related to your Thomas.

There was also a Thomas Bastin who was married to Judith Hodge who moved
to Tennesee from Pulaski Co, KY. Here is the information I have on this
branch of the family in TN; I doubt that any of this pertains to your
Thomas and Nancy Bastin, though.

-- Gary Bastin ()

****

Descendants of Thomas Bastin (grandson of Thomas and Hannah Bastin
of Caswell Co., NC)

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS BASTIN (WILLIAM B. , THOMAS) was born 1802 in Caswell Co, NC,
and died 1868 in TN. He married JUDITH HODGE 15 Dec 1823 in Caswell Co,
NC, daughter of David Hodge.

Children of Thomas Bastin and Judith Hodge are:
i.CATHERINE BASTIN, b. Bef 1828, Lincoln Co, KY; m.
BENJAMIN G. WALL, 28 Jan 1848, Casey Co, KY.
ii.JOSEPH BASTIN, b. 1829, Lincoln Co, KY; m. LUENZA NIR, 01
Jan 1852.
iii.PEYTON BASTIN, b. 1832, Lincoln Co, KY.
2.iv.FRANCES JANE BASTIN, b. 1833, Lincoln Co, KY; d. 05 Jul
1913, Pratt, KS.
v.SAMUEL SMITH BASTIN, b. 06 Jan 1834, Lincoln Co, KY; d.
02 Jul 1924; m. MARY 'POLLY ' SMITH.
vi.WILLIAM BASTIN, b. 1835, Lincoln Co, KY.
vii.THOMAS BASTIN, JR., b. 1838, Lincoln Co, KY.
viii.MADISON BASTIN, b. 1842, Lincoln Co, KY; m. MARGARET
YOUNG, 27 Sep 1860, Casey Co, KY.

Generation No. 2

2. FRANCES JANE BASTIN (THOMAS , WILLIAM B. , THOMAS ) was born 1833 in
Lincoln Co, KY, and died 05 Jul 1913 in Pratt, KS. She married SINGLETON
LEE YOUNG 11 Dec 1851 in Lincoln Co, KY, son of Godfrey Young and Tabitha
Bastin. (Frances and Singleton were first cousins! Tabitha was
a daughter of William B. Bastin.)

Child of Frances Bastin and Singleton Young is:
3.i.MARY JANE YOUNG, b. 21 Sep 1852, Lincoln Co, KY; d. 03
Jan 1891, Pratt, KS.

Generation No. 3

3. MARY JANE YOUNG (FRANCES JANE BASTIN, THOMAS , WILLIAM B. , THOMAS )
was born 21 Sep 1852 in Lincoln Co, KY, and died 03 Jan 1891 in Pratt,
KS. She married (1) MATHEW LONG. She married (2) ??? SIMS.

Children of Mary Young and Mathew Long are:
i.JAMES E. LONG, b. 26 Aug 1881.
4.ii.HATTIE ETHEL LONG, b. 27 Feb 1884, Harper, KS; d. 09 Jun
1953, Salem, Marion Co, OR.
iii.WILLIAM LONG, b. 13 Aug 1886.

Generation No. 4

4. HATTIE ETHEL LONG (MARY JANE YOUNG, FRANCES JANE BASTIN, THOMAS ,
WILLIAM B. , THOMAS ) was born 27 Feb 1884 in Harper, KS, and died 09 Jun
1953 in Salem, Marion Co, OR. She married SOLOMAN WINCHESTER WINGO 24
Nov 1901 in OK.

Children of Hattie Long and Soloman Wingo are:
i.HAZEL GERTRUDE WINGO, b. 06 Sep 1902, OK; d. 17 Dec 1970,
Independence, Polk Co, OR; m. LOT GARDNER, 25 Dec 1920, Falls City, Polk
Co, OR.
ii.RUBY DELIA WINGO, b. 01 Nov 1905, Spearmore, OK; m.
WALLACE RITENOUR GOTTFRIED, 25 Dec 1924, Falls City, Polk Co, OR.
iii.GLEN ISAAC WINGO, b. 11 Feb 1908, Guthrie, Polk Co, OR;
d. 09 Mar 1939; m. VERA ???.

****

Here is the information posted recently about Thomas and Nancy
Bastin of TN:

> From Jul 17 22:50:12 1997
> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 10:46:09 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Gary Bastin <>
> Subject: Thomas Bastin (b. 1811 NC) m. Nancy Johnston

Greetings All!

I recently found another BASTIN researcher: