BASTIN-L ArchivesArchiver > BASTIN > 2001-11 > 1004765118
From: "Gary Bastin" <>
Subject: [BASTIN] Re: Mary E. Bastin/ John M. Adams`
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 00:25:18 -0500
Nice to meet another "BASTIN" cousin! I have now made the corrections you noted to my offline database. On the next upload, it will be automatically corrected on the website. As you can tell, this website has been a long work in progress, and I always welcome any corrections. I am long overdue for an update to the BASTIN Family Website, and really need to get the update uploaded by the end of the year.
Often, I have had only original records (census, marriage, birth, etc.) to go by, and have regretfully missed the wonderful stories about the various family members living with other family members, and migrating to other states to live with relatives, and so forth. These family history stories are what make our family history come alive to us today! Ours is a most far-flung family, with numerous connections from NC to KY, IN, MO, KS, and TN. What is most interesting is that often, our cousins in Kansas have thought they were unrelated to other BASTINs in Kansas, since their families had come from the different states of KY and IN. However, going back just two more generations, they are all related, back in NC, through Thomas and Hannah Bastin of Caswell Co, NC.
I have some additional information that you may find interesting, and it is attached. As I only put descendants of Thomas and Hannah Bastin, and of Hannah's earliest known Brockman ancestors, on the website, there is a good bit of collateral kith and kin in my offline database that doesn't make it to the website. There are numerous double cousins of several types in the attached data :-) The advantage of the website approach is that every descendant on the website is a relative of every other descendant, and spouses are listed as well. The disadvantage, though, is that the collateral lines don't get traced as fast.
I would very much like to fill in any information on the nine siblings you mentioned, as your time permits.
best regards, your cousin,
Gary L. Bastin, Ph.D.
267 Neville Circle NE
Palm Bay, FL 32907
Tel. (321) 727-3024
Descendants of John Adams
Generation No. 1
1. John1 Adams He married Nancy Bell 1826 in Monroe Co, IN. She was born 1802 in KY.
Children of John Adams and Nancy Bell are:
2 i. James H.2 Adams.
3 ii. Hugh Calvin Adams. He married Sarah A. Baugh 1850 in Monroe Co, IN.
+ 4 iii. John Marion Quency Adams, born 1835; died 1893.
+ 5 iv. William Riley Adams, born Abt. 1836; died in Wheeling, MO.
6 v. Ancil Monroe Adams, born 1839 in (twin to Sara Jane); died 1900. He married Amanda Langwell 1859.
7 vi. Sarah Jane Adams, born 1839 in (twin to Ancil Monroe).
Generation No. 2
4. John Marion Quency2 Adams (John1) was born 1835, and died 1893. He married (1) Mary Elizabeth Bastin 20 May 1854 in Monroe Co, IN (Source: Edward and Sharon Froeschle. Also, Monroe Co, IN Marriage Book 3, p. 101. -- Gary Bastin), daughter of Henry Bastin and Eleanor Briscoe. She was born 25 Sep 1836 in IN (Age 14 on 1850 US Census, Monroe Co, IN) (Source: Edward and Sharon Froeschle), and died 26 Apr 1856 in (from childbirth complications). He married (2) Margaret Clendenen Abt. 1860. She was born 1836, and died in (2nd wife of John Marion Quency Adams).
More About Mary Elizabeth Bastin:
Burial Location: Old Simpson Chapel Cem, Monroe Co, IN
Child of John Adams and Mary Bastin is:
+ 8 i. Henry Green3 Adams, born 12 Jan 1856 in Monroe Co, Washington Twp, IN; died 20 Jun 1937 in Wilmot, Cowley Co, KS.
Children of John Adams and Margaret Clendenen are:
9 i. Sarah Ann3 Adams, born 1861.
10 ii. Charles Emsley Adams, born 1863.
+ 11 iii. Nancy LaVada 'Vadie' Adams, born 1866; died 24 Jun 1953.
12 iv. Esther J. Adams, born 1869.
13 v. William Stephen Adams, born 1873.
14 vi. Lydia Elnora Adams, born 1876.
5. William Riley2 Adams (John1) was born Abt. 1836 (Source: Edward and Sharon Froeschle), and died in Wheeling, MO. He married Sally E. 'Sara' Bastin 20 Mar 1856 in Washington Township, Monroe Co, IN (Source: Edward and Sharon Froeschle. Also, Monroe Co, IN Marriage Book 3, p. 232. -- Gary Bastin), daughter of Henry Bastin and Eleanor Briscoe. She was born Abt. 1838 in IN (Age 12 on 1850 US Census, Monroe Co, IN) (Source: Edward and Sharon Froeschle), and died Bet. 1861 - 1862 in Monroe Co, IN (Source: Don Matson (posting to BASTIN-L) -- Gary Bastin).
Children of William Adams and Sally Bastin are:
15 i. Henry C.3 Adams, born Abt. 1856 in IN (Source: Edward and Sharon Froeschle).
16 ii. Melvin Adams, born Abt. 1858.
Generation No. 3
8. Henry Green3 Adams (John Marion Quency2, John1) was born 12 Jan 1856 in Monroe Co, Washington Twp, IN, and died 20 Jun 1937 in Wilmot, Cowley Co, KS. He married (1) Amanda Collier 28 Feb 1876. She died in childbirth with baby. He married (2) Ida Tice 23 Dec 1889 in Cowley Co, KS.
Child of Henry Adams and Amanda Collier is:
17 i. ???4 Adams, died in childbirth.
Child of Henry Adams and Ida Tice is:
18 i. Edith Blanche4 Adams, born in (one of nine siblings). She married ??? Orrill.
11. Nancy LaVada 'Vadie'3 Adams (John Marion Quency2, John1) (Source: Nancy Crossley, Oxford, MI, in GEDCOM to Gary Bastin, Oct 4, 1997) was born 1866, and died 24 Jun 1953. She married James Samuel 'Sam' Bastin (Source: Nancy Crossley, Oxford, MI, in GEDCOM to Gary Bastin, Oct 4, 1997) 13 Mar 1890 in Monroe Co, IN (Source: Monroe Co, IN Marriage Book 8, p. 113. -- Gary Bastin), son of Henry Bastin and Elizabeth McDaniel. He was born 1869 in of Monroe Co, IN, and died 1942.
More About Nancy LaVada 'Vadie' Adams:
Burial Location: Aft. 24 Jun 1953, Washington Twp., Monroe Co. IN
More About James Samuel 'Sam' Bastin:
Burial Location: 1942, Washington Twp., Monroe Co, IN
Children of Nancy Adams and James Bastin are:
19 i. Fannie V.4 Bastin, born 26 Oct 1891 in Monroe Co, IN (Source: Date from Morgan Co IN Marriage Book 14, p. 56. Location and same date from Monroe Co, IN birth record, Book 14, p. 56. Also, Monroe Co, IN Birth Records, Book H-2, p. 62. -- Gary Bastin). She married Albert C. Canada 03 Oct 1912 in Morgan Co, IN (Source: Morgan Co IN Marriage Book 14, p. 56. -- Gary Bastin); born 12 May 1889 (Source: Morgan Co IN Marriage Book 14, p. 56. -- Gary Bastin).
20 ii. ??? Bastin, born 06 Sep 1896 in (daughter) (Source: Monroe Co, IN Birth Records, Book H-3, p. 13. -- Gary Bastin).
21 iii. ??? Bastin, born 18 Oct 1898 in (daughter) (Source: Monroe Co, IN Birth Records, Book H-3, p. 50. -- Gary Bastin).
22 iv. John S. Bastin, born 18 Dec 1907 in Monroe Co, IN (Source: Monroe Co, IN Birth Records, Book H- 5, p. 7. -- Gary Bastin).
23 v. Mary E. Bastin, born 13 Feb 1912 in Monroe Co, IN (Source: Monroe Co, IN Birth Records, Book H-6, p. 118. -- Gary Bastin).
----- Original Message -----
From: Judith Bruder
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 11:22 PM
Subject: Mary E. Bastin/ John M. Adams`
Hi Gary, I have just subscribed to your list, and looked up John M. Adams and Mary Elizabeth Bastin. I have a major correction. First a minor addition. John M (Marion/ Quency) Adams if you want to include his two middle names.
It says their child is Nancy LaVada Adams. Their only child was Henry Green Adams, my grandfather. Nancy LaVada Adams is Henry Green Adams half-sister, the daughter of John M. Adams and his 2nd wife, Margaret Clendenen.
John M. (Marion/Quency) Adams and Mary Elizabeth had Henry Green Adams on January 12, 1856 in Monroe Co. Washington Twp, IN. Henry Green died June 20, 1937 in Wilmot, Cowley Co. KS.
Mary Elizabeth died of child birth complications on April 26, 1856, and is buried in Old Simpson Chapel Cemetery in Monroe Co. IN.
After Mary Elizabeth died, John M. Adams married a 2nd time to Margaret Clendenen abt 1861 in Monroe Co. IN. Margaret Clendenen was born 1836 ad died 1836, John M. Adams and Margaret Clendenen's children are: William Stephen Adams b 1873, Lydia Elnora Adams b 1876, Esther J. Adams b 1869, Charles Emsley Adams b 1863, Nancy LaVada Adams b 1866, Sarah Ann Adams b 1861.
Henry Green Adams was raised by his maternal grandparents, Henry Bastin, and Eleanor/Elender Briscoe. They lived neighbors to his father John M. & Margaret Clendenen with the Jones farm seperating their places.
Henry Green Adams married 1st Amanda Collier, Feb 28, 1876. She and her baby died in childbirth. Henry Green Adams then went to work for his Uncle Sam Bastin in Cowley Co. KS. Samuel Melroy Bastin was the son of Henry and Eleanor/Elender Briscoe. Henry was raised with Sam. Samuel Bastin married Elizabeth Victoria (Vic) McCormick in 1871.
I have lots of info on Sam and Vic and Henry Green's half brothers also going to KS to work for Sam Bastin
Henry Green Adams married Ida Tice Dec. 23, 1889 in Cowley Co. KS and had nine children, one of them being my mother , Edith Blanche Adams Orrill
Thought I better get this info straightened out. I have yet to check the other family members, but will enjoy doing it. Don't know why I haven't subscribed before now. I have been so busy trying to track down John M. (Marion/Quency) Adams grandparents. The parents of John Adams and Nancy Bell of Monroe Co. IN. that I have neglected getting on with other lines.
Judith D. Bruder
2912 NW 3rd Terr.
Blue Springs, MO 64014
|[BASTIN] Re: Mary E. Bastin/ John M. Adams` by "Gary Bastin" <>|