BATES-L Archives

Archiver > BATES > 1998-11 > 0911532065

From: <>
Subject: Lewellyn Bates
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 23:21:05 -0400

TO ALL: I have two Bates great great grandparents who married each other.

FLAVILLA L. BATES b 13 Aug 1856 either Jo Daviess Co. IL or IA, d 03 Sept
1956 Gary, Deuel, SD; her ancestors came through the Vermont group of
Ebenezer Bates who settled near Shaftsbury, VT after coming from Rhode
Island. We have some decent records on this Bates family.

She married on 1 Jan 1874 Warren, Jo Daviess, IL to LEWELLYN BATES b 17 Jan
1854 Branch Co. MI d 09 Jun 1929 This is where the mystery begins: We
do not know who his parents were. Family members recall that Lewellyn's
father had served in the Civil War (probably in Cavalry) and came back
alive, but was injured and "shell shocked". We would call it PTSS in our
era. He jumped on his trusty horse one day and disappeared. We do not
know what happened to him or if he was ever seen again. The mother of
Lewellyn Bates (unknown name) and whatever offspring who were with her,
supposedly moved to Illinois in 1871. This was learned from Lewellyn's
obit, but his mother was not named. By 1874, Lewellyn and Flavilla are
married in Warren, Jo Daviess, IL and they immediately start a family of
nine including.:
Cora Bella Bates m Ira Herman Loney
Bertha Mary Bates m Charles Garhardt
Shirley Bates (male) m Bernice Pollecker
Martha Bates m Homer McGeorge
Iva Pearl Bates m Guy Woodbury
Lewelyn Otto Bates m Emma Schur
Leon Alva Bates m Lily Veseth
Desa F. Bates m Ernest Knorr
Hazel Rose Bates m George Tilbury

Flavilla and Lewellyn lived in numerous counties and states during their
marriage. We have tracked them down through census and other records quite
well from IL to SD. We did not locate Lewellyn Bates in any census until
1880 after he is an adult and married. In a letter to a SD hospital after
her husband was injured, Flavilla states she knew very little about her
husband's family. She came from a farm family that lived in Rush Twp. Jo
Daviess Co. and they lived there for several years. At first it was
thought he was a close cousin, however the statement that she knew very
little about her husband's family would not usually support this. It is
highly unlikely they knew each other prior to the move to IL.

The first reaction from everyone is check the Civil War listings for
Michigan. Well there were lots of Bates who fought in the Civil War. We
have eliminated several who remained in Michigan and raised families to an
old age or were very young in age when they enlisted. We have it narrowed
down to about 24 Bates who would fit the age range as this father already
had a son born in 1854 when the Civil War started. That made him an older
soldier and he could easily have been thirty yrs or more when he enlisted.
He might also have enlisted in Ohio or Indiana as he might have lived near
those borders. There were large concentrations of Bates in Branch,
Hillsdale, and Oakland counties during the mid 1800s.

If anyone has other clues or connections, please get ahold of me. There
are many Bates descendants who are just a perplexed as I am. My wife and I
live in Michigan and thought we would be able to track this family down
easily. That was almost three years ago and we haven't made progress at
all.

Wayne H. Loney

Wayne H. Loney

This thread: