BECKHAM-L ArchivesArchiver > BECKHAM > 1998-10 > 0908462828
From: "Jack Duke" <>
Subject: [BECKHAM-L] Jack Beckham, Jr.
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:47:08 -0000
This is not properly documented--please excuse. I might just help someone
to find the documentation.
John Beckham, Jr., according to the Henderson family was the only son. He
was born c 1763/65 (6 June 1766) and married Susan, who was probably the
daughter of Baxter Mosley, a neighbor of the Beckhams. She is said to have
been Susan or Rachel Mosley. They would have been married about 1791-92 in
SC. In 1791, John, Jr. began operating a store at Grindal Shoals in
partnership with Montecrief & MacBeth. This store may have been first run
by hiss father. By 1793, John Jr. and his partners were having trouble.
They brought a suit against John in 1793 which lasted for a number of
years, and stated that he refused to keep proper accounts and that he was
planning to run out on them. Sometime about 1804-05, and probably at the
death of his father, John and Susan moved to Kentucky where they lived in
Barren & Warren Counties. John Jr., died there about 1849. He is shown on
the Tax list in 1849, but not on the 1850 census. His known children were:
1. William Beckham b. c 1793 SC m. Susannah, dau of Joseph Wells 13 June
2. John Beckham III, b c. 1798 SC m. Mary E. Rea 31 Oct. 1831.
3. Nathaniel Henderson Beckham b. c 1802 SC m. Elizabeth, dau of William
Lowe, 26 Jan 1822 Barren Co. KY.
4. Elizabeth Beckham, b. c 1805 KY. She may be an unwed dau or the widow
of an unknown son. She appears on the 1870 census under the name of
5. Samuel Henderson Beckham b c 1807 KY m. 1. Mary P. Ellis 1828 and 2.
Margaret Brown 1878.
6. Clayton Stribling Beckham b c 1809 KY m. Margaret Ground 12 Dec 1832.
His son, Pleasant Henderson Beckham later in TX.
7. Susan Beckham. m. James James 1826 KY.
8. Teressa Beckham m. Al Lawrence.
9. Arrency Beckham (?) m. George Kimball.
Many Beckhams were found later in Warren Co., KY.
The reference to the court suit about the store was found on Mormon
Microfilm #254981. Equity Court.
|[BECKHAM-L] Jack Beckham, Jr. by "Jack Duke" <>|