BEDFORD-L Archives

Archiver > BEDFORD > 2002-10 > 1033656884

From: "Simone Hull" <>
Subject: RE: [BDF] Whats up ?
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 15:54:44 +0100

I think Jim's original query was more about why we need to have fiche
readers when we have computers.

The original census lists and parish records etc were mostly transferred
onto micro fiche and film to preserve them, by I believe the Mormons. This
was before computers came into use.

In order for these records to become available to us all via the Internet,
somebody has to read the details off the fiches and transcribe them onto the
web. These are then backed up for accuracy with a second reading and a check
that all the details are correct. Hence the need for fiche readers.(But as
Eve says, it's always best to check the original source yourself as well.)

The Free Census -UK Bedfordshire is one such project, and Mike Strange is
always needing volunteers. They have only managed to complete 4 of the 33
Bedfordshire districts for the 1891 Census.

Take a look at his site, it's really good and if you've got the time - and
access to a fiche reader, then perhaps you could volunteer.

http://www.yourtotalevent.com/projects/freecenbdf.htm

Simone.