BEDFORD-L Archives

Archiver > BEDFORD > 2008-09 > 1221721701

From: David <>
Subject: Re: [BDF] Richard UPTON born c1794 DUNSTABLE
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:08:21 +0200

I'm sure you have more information than you're divulging. Name of the 1836
wife, children etc? A minimalist approach makes it more difficult for people
to help you.

As hinted at by Peter, 1836 was probably a second marriage

This might be Richard and family, but without the name of at least one child
I can't be certain:

1851 census
HO107/1505 page 19
Orchard Cottage, Hackney
Richard Upton head marr 51? (or 56) Clerk East India House b Ampthill
Isabella Upton wife 48 b Edinburgh
Maria Upton dau unmarr 28 b Hackney Middx
Eliza Upton dau unm 25 b Hackney
Sarah Upton dau unm 23 b Hackney
Isabella J Upton dau unm 16 Scholar b Hackney
Richard Upton son 12 scholar b Hackney
Allen? Murray Upton son 10 scholar b Hackney
Julia Ann Upton dau 9 b Hackney
E Murray Upton son 7 b Hackney
Mary Smart unm 24 House servant b Kirkaldy

1841
HO107/
Park Rd, St John's Hackney
Richard Upton 40 Cant read occupation Not born in county
Isabella Upton 35 b Scotland
Maria Louise 15; John George 15; Eliza 15; Sarah Ann 13; Isabella Jane 5;
Richard 2 1/2; William James 1. All b Middlesex; Hannah Rushen 25 Female
servant Not b in county
Ages over 15 in 1841 were rounded down to the nearest 5 below.

So it looks as though Richard married first c1822, and was dead by 1861 when
Isabella was a widow. There's a death of a Richard Upton in Hackney in the
March quarter 1859 on http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

On Pallots Marriage Index there's a marriage at St James Duke Place in Apr
1822 between Richard Upton and Louisa Harlow, which might be his first
marriage, given Maria's middle name (the marriage is also on the IGI)

Richard's age in 1851 is the key. It's transcribed on Ancestry as 56, but I
think it may be 51. If it is 51 then the 1799 baptism on the IGI, parents
John and Julia, looks favourite, particularly as he named his 5th daughter
Julia. If you ordered his death certificate his age would be given.

Virtually all of Beds pre 1812 has been extracted onto the IGI - but I can
see only the one child of John and Julia. However there are then 3 children
baptised in St Leonards Shoreditch to John and Julia, so they may have moved
to London when Richard was still very young.

In 1841 there was a Julia Dawson age 65 born Ireland living with James &
Mary Dawson, both 45, in Islington. I can't see a marriage of John Upton and
Julia - perhaps it took place in Ireland - was he a soldier perhaps?

Since typing the above I see you've posted a great deal more information, so
I've largely wasted my time this morning. I'll post it anyway

David