BEDFORD-L Archives

Archiver > BEDFORD > 2011-01 > 1294246677

Subject: Re: [BDF] Harrold parish registers
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 11:57:57 EST

Dear Peter:

Your question just hit the spot, so to speak. There is a group of BUTTON
researchers who are working together (in the U.S.--I am not sure where you
are--England?) on Matthias BUTTON. A few months ago, I wrote St. Peter's
Church in Harrold. Below is the answer I received from John Saul, who answers
such inquiries for the church. Another BUTTON researcher and I wrote Evelyn
Burgess (whose emails are included below) in hopes that she would have
more information, but she did not answer either one of us. Perhaps if you
email John Saul, he can tell you whether the vital records for Thomas BUTTON and
his family are in Latin or English. They were sent to me in English
almost 20 years ago by someone in the Bedfordshire County Office. That person
said nothing about whether the original record was in English or Latin. John
Saul's email address is
(mailto:) .
Jayne
(mailto:)

From: (mailto:)
Date: July 31, 2010

Dear Jayne

Your enquiry [to St. Peter's church] has been forwarded to me.

The church records confirm the death of Thomas Button in 1617 and the
baptisms of his children - but all we have in the church is a typed
transcription made in 1946 of the registers kept in the Bedfordshire County Record
Office. There is no possibility of going back any earlier than 1598.

You are not the first person to ask us for information about Thomas Button.

In 2003 we were visited by a Russ Button of Alameda, California - he is
descended from Thomas Button via Thomas's son Matthias, who emigrated to
Massachusetts in the 1630s.
>From what he told me I was able to write a short article for the Harrold
village magazine - extract included below.

Then last year we received an enquiry from a Mrs Burgess: