BEDSAUL-L Archives

Archiver > BEDSAUL > 2001-12 > 1009805305

From: "Mike Marshall" <>
Subject: Re: [BEDSAUL] Birdsalls
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 08:28:25 -0500

Thanks Sue. I did find the following marriages some time ago. They are from
Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New Jersey, Vol.
22, page 10:

Jacob Birdsall, Burlington, and Elizabeth Coles of Burlington-- 4 Apr 1730

Nathan Burdsall, Monmouth, and Abigail Willness of Monmouth-- 13 Dec 1752

Elijah Burdsal, Burlington, and Mary Wills of Burlington-- 18 Jun 1765

Joseph Burdsell, Monmouth, and Hannah Cox (no place given)--20 Nov 1783

It's clear there were individuals with names like Birdsall, Burdsal,
Burdsell, in the Monmouth and Burlington areas of NJ from 1730 to at least
1783. And there is an Elijah who is closely associated in the Bible with
Elisha. So, it seems reasonable to wonder if there isn'a an Elisha Birdsal
there in that area. I suppose I'll have to try to dig deeper into the NJ
records. I did find that a number of the lines that later merged with
Bedsaul originated in the NJ area in the 1600s. They include Brown, Scaife,
Penton, and Edwards.

Mike