BELGIUM-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > BELGIUM-ROOTS > 2003-11 > 1068963363

From: "Jim-Almquist" <>
Subject: Re: [BEL-R] Antwerp ships passenger lists
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:16:54 -0700

Hi Cindy,
That is very kind of you to look for my Geris folks coming from Belgium to
the U.S. - thank you a bunch. None of the names you gave (below) are the
folks I am looking for. Your information does raise my hopes some - you at
least found some GERIS surnames. I keep coming up empty and was beginning
to think the name didn't exist or was spelled differently in the "old
country".
Although they were born in or around Mussy-la-ville in Luxembourg province
of Belgium, I now wonder if they maybe emigrated from France. I just came
across a piece written by one of the immigrants daughters that might
indicate that they were living near Paris just prior to leaving Europe. It
was written - - -
"I remember she had two sisters and a brother who came also. They all worked
near Paris. One sister made embroidery. Grandmother was a tailoress and all
worked near Paris. They came over in a sailing boat and were six weeks
crossing. They landed somewhere in Northern Part of country, and later came
down here. I think she first lived in Ohio. Their Mother also came with them
but did not live long. I think she died of homesickness. One sister Mary
Catherine made white embroidery, another sister Mary Josephine also made
some kind of
embroidery, my Grandmother was a tailoress. She did lovely work. I saw some
of her work many years later, and it was lovely. They were all fine needle
women..."
- - -
All indications (census & land records) point to them immigrating in 1848 -
they may possibly have departed Belgium (or France) in latter part of 1847.
Mary Francis GERIS, emigrated to Fayetteville, Ohio.
She is shown to have purchased land there in August of 1848.
She probably emigrated with a daughter; Mary Teresa, b. 1830 and two
sons; John Baptist, b.1831 and Joseph, b.1833.
Another daughter, Teresa (b. abt 1820), married John P FERRY (in Belgium
or France) and also emigrated to Ohio - at about the same time.
Another daughter, Margaret J, (b. est. 1828), married John B GOEURY (in
Belgium or France) and also emigrated to Ohio - at about the same time.
Another daughter, another Marie, married a BERNARD, but I don't have any
additional information on them.
The GERIS family, and married daughters, may have emigrated together or
maybe
separately - but certainly very nearly to 1847-1848.
Thank you again for trying to help - I'm impressed and may have to give up
and subscribe to Ancestry.com.
Jim