BELGIUM-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > BELGIUM-ROOTS > 2005-12 > 1134341835

From: Don Montague <>
Subject: MEUGENS, BONGAERTS & SMEESTERS
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:57:15 +0000

May I renew my plea for any and all news of the MEUGENS family in Belgium?

My great-grandmother Nancy Meugens, a.k.a. Mrs Arthur Bell, was the
daughter of Pierre Joseph MEUGENS, who was born in Belgium in 1808, son of
Jean Joseph MEUGENS (born in Kumtich, Brabant, on 26/11/1782, died in New
Orleans on 14/6/1854) and Marie Agnes BONGAERTS (born at Brachelen,
Luxemburg, Belgium in 1774).

As a young man Pierre Joseph MEUGENS went to London from Antwerp. A family
tale is that, when he arrived in London, he went to ask advice from someone
to whom he had an introduction, dressed very smartly and gaily in the
latest Antwerp fashion. The man he had come to see at once told him he
could recommend a good tailor. He eventually made a fortune on the Stock
Exchange as a broker, marrying twice and having 12 children, whose
descendants are scattered round the world - but did not return to Belgium.

Basically what I'm looking for is information on:

1. Any & all Meugens from the Kumtich/Oorbeek/Glabbeek/Hoegaarden area

2. Anything about the BONGAERTS of Brachelen

3. Anything about the family and ancestors of Jean Joseph MEUGENS' mother,
Maria Theresia Cecilia SMEESTERS (born at Kumtich, 17/3/1757 and died there
on 31/3/1802.

Some extraordinarily kind & enthusiastic Listers and others in Belgium have
already assisted me to trace my MEUGENS line in Belgium back to the late
1500's, and I have a collection of MEUGENS fragments, not yet connected to
Jean Joseph M's clan. This name seems quite rare and always connected with
the same area, so that I believe that practically all the fragments will
eventually connect up.

Very curiously I have NEVER found a MEUGENS outside Belgium who was or is
not descended from Jean Joseph M.

If anyone else is researching these families I'd be delighted to share what
I've learned

Don Montague

This thread: