BELGIUM-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > BELGIUM-ROOTS > 2005-12 > 1135653988

From: "Chuck" <>
Subject: Saraphine/Seraphine/Saraphin
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:26:28 -0600

Cyndi I have been following this thread too and below you will find a response from my cousin in Belgium. He and another source have indicated there is no connection between the names and they suggest a check of the birth certificate to look for other given / birth names. If your gmother's birth notice show other given names, none being Josephine, the question goes on. Two others have relatives called Josephine or Joseph in the USA but having given names Saraphine/Seraphine/Saraphin.

I wonder if the interviewer at Ellis Island took the liberty of assigning the Josephine/Joseph name or if he followed some naming
proceedure at Ellis Island. I have seen other examples of names being "americanized" but usually with some connecrtion.

Chuck Van Den Eeden
Lombard, Illinois