BELGIUM-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > BELGIUM-ROOTS > 2008-01 > 1199451168

From: Regine Brindle <>
Subject: Re: [BEL-R] 1895 Argentinian census
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 04:52:48 -0800 (PST)

Dear Alejandro & Gabriela

A friend of mine recently wrote me that she was stopping all of her activities and sadly so because she might have been able to help you better than anyone else.

Her name is Huguette DeClerk. For some years she was Head librarian for the Belgian Parliament and had made a project of gathering all the emigrants going anywhere. She sent me a book recently that she was sending for reprinting but I can't get my hands on it just now.

I understand only too well what you explain as the problem was the same here in the US, only with the English language. This has given birth to some very interesting spellings, that's for sure!

We put an article in "Belgian Laces" last year I think (sorry memory fails me) about the time a book was published that told about the Belgian emigration across the world through stamp collecting: "From the Azores to New Zealand" by Patrick Maselis - AWESOME book!

Villaguay is covered in chapter IX.
On p163, he gives a brief list of names and where they came from.
I would love doing a follow-up article for "Belgian Laces" if you feel like sharing a story of your family. Be sure that if I can be of help in any way, I will share whatever information we have at our disposal.

Take care,
Regine Brindle

María Gabriela LencinaDen Dauw <> wrote:
Bruce & Regine:

Thanks for the info, we knew already about this on line census, but before this census
were published on the web we went to Buenos Aires, to the General Archiv of the Nation,
and asked for the books of the 1895 census, of course we didn't see all the entries for
the whole country but we took the part of the census were Villaguay city was mentioned
and take notes about the belgians who appeared there...but having acces to this on line
census is really great.
But there is one problem here in Argentina for genealogists: when the most of the
immigrants came, the government agents who received them didn't speak any language but
spanish and in some cases they didn't know really how to write quite well in spanish
also!, so when they asked about the surnames and places of birth or things like that they
take notes just as they were listened, so most of the surnames that were not re-written
by the immigrants at that moment were really changed up...in some cases it is impossible
to know the origial surname of a person because of that, we have lots of tales about
that.
So when you're looking up some surname on Argentinian records you have to imagine all
possible deformations, and really ALL kind of possible deformations...most of the cases
you find the surname but written "in spanish", that is the surname as the immigrants
pronunced them but in spanish grammar. Well, those are some advices for your future
researches.

Thanks a lot!

kind regards.

Alejandro Müller & Gabriela Lencina Den Dauw.

--- Bruce & Regine Brindle escribió:

> Hello Chuck and Gabriela,
> In case you didn't know the FamilySearch Record Search has made available the 1895
> Argentina census.
> Go to www.familysearchlabs.org
> Click on Record Search
> Sign in or register
> then either do a search or choose the database you want to search.
> This will give you access to free images as well as indexes.
> There were 3900 hits when I did a search in the Argentina census for people born in
> Belgium.
> Take care,
> Regine Brindle
>
> María Gabriela LencinaDen Dauw wrote:
> hello Chuck:
>
> Well, we hope this coming year to make some changes in the webpage, because the one
> that's actually on line it's just to have a presence on the internet, but we're gonna
> keep your words in mind in case we could make also an english translation.
>
> Happy new year, and Kind regards
>
> --- Chuck escribió:
>
> > Gabrielia - any chance for an english language version?
> >
> > chuck van den eeden
> > Lombard, IL
> >
> > My name is Gabriela Lencina Den Dauw and I had just join the list, I would
> > like to know
> > if there is people interested or related in some way to flemish colonists
> > who immigrated
> > from Oudenaarde to Villaguay in Entre Rios province in Argentina starting on
> > 1882.
> > A lot of descendants of the following surnames can be easily found now a day
> > here:
> >
> > Schepens, Berra , De Clercq, De Langhe, Dubuisson, Devetter, De Velde,
> > Lagneau, Van
> > Hauwaert, Van Humbecq, Willems, Ghyselinck, Creteur, De Meyer, Verbauwede,
> > Verhaegen,
> > Musschet, Hoflack, Beaurain, Hoet, Lambert, De Graeve, Van dem Broucke, Van
> > Derdonckt, De
> > Vos, Beauvais, Van Haezevelde, Verryt, Van Cauwenberghe, Van Dem Brande, Den
> > Dauw, Van
> > Opstal, De Brabandere, Van Devoorde, Van Den Doorne, Thiers, Van De Velde,
> > Aelvoet,
> > Kaelvoet, etc.
> >
> > Spelling of the surnames has been in some cases modified here, others
> > surnames had been
> > lost or dissapeared through the years.
> >
> > Recently on January 13 of 2007, We celebrate the 125 anniversary of the
> > Belgian
> > Colonisation in Villaguay. The Belgian ambassador for Argentina, koenraad
> > Rouvroy, has
> > been here to that ocation, with many other personalities and also a
> > documentary film
> > about the history of the old belgian colony has been showed to the public.
> >
> > I would like to get in touch with people interested on this, besides you can
> > visit our
> > website www.coloniasbelgas.com.ar that is also translated into flemish and
> > where you can
> [...]

Los referentes más importantes en compra/ venta de autos se juntaron:
Demotores y Yahoo!
Ahora comprar o vender tu auto es más fácil. Vistá ar.autos.yahoo.com/