BELGIUM-ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > BELGIUM-ROOTS > 2009-02 > 1233888680

From: Blanche Agostinone <>
Subject: Re: [BEL-R] Jacob Eggermont / Eggremont c1828-1891
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:51:20 -0800

On 5-Feb-09, at 4:03 PM, Karen Dickson wrote:

> I am trying to trace my great, great grandfather Jacob Eggermont /
> Eggremont. Jacob lived in Port Adelaide, South Australia - the
> earliest
> record I can find for him here is the birth registration for his
> son in
> November 1857. Shortly after the child's birth the family
> anglicised their
> name from Eggermont / Eggremont to Acraman. I have been unable to
> trace
> Jacob's immigration records but I think his surname is of Flemish
> origin.
> Jacob died 23 November 1891 and was supposedly aged 63. This would
> put his
> year of birth at either 1827 or 1828.
>
> I have come to a dead end with research here in Australia and I was
> wondering if there are any Belgian records I could check. Of course
> I am
> guessing that Jacob was from Belgium. Any suggestions or advice
> would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Karen

Hello Karen

The name Eggermont is wellknown in Belgium , but it would be
some help if you can find out from what part of Belgium or even a
province or city they came from . There was a certain Isidore
Jacques Eggermont who was a diplomat
born 1844 / passed away april 1923 and many many others. I
suppose you are looking in the right country .
Blanche

This thread: