BILLINGS-L Archives

From: Muffy Moore <>
Subject: Re: [BILLINGS] Daniel Billings, Vermont
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:25:01 -0600
References: <98921.49879.qm@web180104.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>
In-Reply-To: <98921.49879.qm@web180104.mail.gq1.yahoo.com>

Hello Diane,

I have pretty much accounted for all the descendants of Oel & Sophia Billings to the present, and there is no Daniel Billings among them. But, coming from Barnard at that time, it seems quite possible there is a connection.

Some possibilities:

Going back to Oel's father John who has two brothers by most accounts: Benjamin and Matthew.

I have not found anything about Matthew - it is thought he went to Ohio, or possibly New York. I have not been able to establish with certainty that he existed.

Benjamin lived in Vermont. In "The Hovey Book" he has two daughters, Grace and Amy, both of whom married Hovey brothers, and no other children are mentioned. Benjamin, in that book, is said to have died in Sharon, Vermont. In 1994 I wrote the Sharon Historical Society. Here is from my notes:

"Jack Loftus, chairman of the Sharon Historical Society, says in a 1994 letter that there is no trace of Benjamin having lived in Sharon.

There is a small provision in the minutes of a Royalton proprietor meeting in June 1781 that provided a lot to “Daniel Billings, son of Benjamin Billings”. (Loftus letter)

A Benjamin Billings is living in Brookfield VT in the 1810 census, next to Alvin(?) Hovey.
"

John Billings (bro of Benjamin) lived in Royalton. Seems likely that Benjamin lived in Brookfield, at least in 1810. If Benjamin was born, say, 1744-1755 (parents m. in 1744, John was b. 1751), the timing might be right for your Dana to belong to this family.

The Dana and Billings families knew each other - I have a bunch of correspondence involving the sale of the dana farm in Woodstock to the Billings family.

Another place to look might be among John Billings' grandchildren, though the timing is tighter. These are John's sons:
Children: John (1773-1853)

Asa (1775-1832)

Oel (1788-1871)

Levi Mower (1798-1886)

I am thinking that the Daniel in Royalton, 1781, is a good place to start. There are various records there and church records also - i have not tried to follow up this Daniel and would be really interested in what you might find. Also, in a map of the first partition of Royalton, there is a Stephen Billings. I wish knew who he was.

Best regards,
Muffy

On Mar 24, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Diane Blodgett wrote:

> Hello Muffy,
> I have been trying to find out more about my Billings line. My great great
> grandfather, Dana Daniel Billings was born on September 9, 1823 in Barnard,
> Windsor Co., Vermont and later settled in Adams Co. Wisconsin. According to a
> short biography about him in a compendium of biographies from a few counties
> around and including Adams Co., his father's name was Daniel. No mention was
> made of his mother. I have been unable to find out anymore information about
> him. In my searches, I've come across Oel Billings' name and wondered if there
> was any connection between him and Daniel. Do you have any information that
> mentions a Daniel Billings born in the late 1700's to very early 1800's?
> ________________________________
> From: Muffy Moore <>
> Sent: Thu, March 24, 2011 6:27:37 PM
> Subject: Re: [BILLINGS] Inactivity on list
> I am Frederick Billings' great-grand daughter and have done quit a bit of work
> on the family.
> Frederick's father is Oel; grandfather is John who came from Connecticut to
> South Royalton, VT in 1780. Beyond that it gets a bit murky. John is
> supposedly the son of Samuel Billings and Grace Maynard/Minard/Mynard. Samuel
> (if that is his name) is usually assigned to the family of Joseph Billings and
> Comfort [---] (or occasionally Sarah Larabee) though this has not been proved
> (It comes from the notoriously fraudulent genealogist Horatio Somerby). It's
> possible joseph and Comfort are his parents, though his mother was not Sarah.
> On Mar 24, 2011, at 5:13 PM, wrote:
>> I have the book on Frederick Billings of Billings, Montana.
>> In a message dated 3/24/2011 7:04:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>> children) . Great Great Grandmother Caroline born in 1828 and was alive in
>> Canastota NY in 1920 for the census. Her maiden name is unknown to me,
>> but
>> from an old article, she had 14 or more children. An Uncle said that we
>> were
>> related to the Billings family from Vermont , one of whom was a railroad
>> person whose name lives on in Billings, Montana.
>> There must be hundreds/thousands of us out there that finally developed an
>> interest in geneology after most of the folks who knew anything had passed.
>> I am happy to hear that there is an interest in the group. Would love to
>> hear from family.
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Esther" <>
>> To: <>
>> Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:10 PM
>> Subject: [BILLINGS] Inactivity on list
>>> Hello! I have become the new administrator for this list,and I noticed
>>> that there hasn't been any activity since December of 2010.
>>>
>>> There is quite a few descendents of the Billings family on the list.
>> How
>>> about a roll call?
>>>
>>> To start off, I am a descendent of Ebenezer and Anna (Comstock) Billings
>>> of Stonington, New London, CT through their daughter, Anna Billings.
>>>
>>> Maybe there is someone on the list who would like to share their
>>> information. Who knows, maybe we will be able to connect some lines.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>> Esther
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes
>> in the subject and
>> the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
>> the subject and the body of the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in
> the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message