BILLINGS-L Archives

Archiver > BILLINGS > 2011-03 > 1301066701

From: Muffy Moore <>
Subject: Re: [BILLINGS] Daniel Billings, Vermont
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:25:01 -0600

Hello Diane,

I have pretty much accounted for all the descendants of Oel & Sophia Billings to the present, and there is no Daniel Billings among them. But, coming from Barnard at that time, it seems quite possible there is a connection.

Some possibilities:

Going back to Oel's father John who has two brothers by most accounts: Benjamin and Matthew.

I have not found anything about Matthew - it is thought he went to Ohio, or possibly New York. I have not been able to establish with certainty that he existed.

Benjamin lived in Vermont. In "The Hovey Book" he has two daughters, Grace and Amy, both of whom married Hovey brothers, and no other children are mentioned. Benjamin, in that book, is said to have died in Sharon, Vermont. In 1994 I wrote the Sharon Historical Society. Here is from my notes:

"Jack Loftus, chairman of the Sharon Historical Society, says in a 1994 letter that there is no trace of Benjamin having lived in Sharon.

There is a small provision in the minutes of a Royalton proprietor meeting in June 1781 that provided a lot to “Daniel Billings, son of Benjamin Billings”. (Loftus letter)

A Benjamin Billings is living in Brookfield VT in the 1810 census, next to Alvin(?) Hovey.
http://content.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=7734&path=Vermont.Orange.Brookfield.1&fn=Benjamin&ln=Billings&st=r&pid=1032072&rc=&zp=75
"

John Billings (bro of Benjamin) lived in Royalton. Seems likely that Benjamin lived in Brookfield, at least in 1810. If Benjamin was born, say, 1744-1755 (parents m. in 1744, John was b. 1751), the timing might be right for your Dana to belong to this family.

The Dana and Billings families knew each other - I have a bunch of correspondence involving the sale of the dana farm in Woodstock to the Billings family.

Another place to look might be among John Billings' grandchildren, though the timing is tighter. These are John's sons:
Children: John (1773-1853)

Asa (1775-1832)

Oel (1788-1871)

Levi Mower (1798-1886)

I am thinking that the Daniel in Royalton, 1781, is a good place to start. There are various records there and church records also - i have not tried to follow up this Daniel and would be really interested in what you might find. Also, in a map of the first partition of Royalton, there is a Stephen Billings. I wish knew who he was.

Best regards,
Muffy