BISSETT-L Archives

Archiver > BISSETT > 1997-10 > 0878322726

From: Ron Bissett <>
Subject: Spoilsport
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 11:32:06 -0700

Giammo,

I suppose you pour water on your kids birthday candles, too. :-)

As for the origins of the Bissett's, this is from the History of the
Beauly Priory:

The Irish tradition was that the Bisset's were a Greek family and came in
with the Conquest (Reeves', Down and Conner, 388) A Byzantine family
named Dassiotes, bore arg. a bend gu. (N. and Q., 4th S., ii 525). The
name is spelt Buset (Supra, p75) in 1294. It may have been Bv??ros, from
Bvrros, fine linen. There was John Byset in Kent (6Ed. I., Inq.p.m.).
John, husband of one of the Byset heiresses of Maiden Bradley, assumed
the name of Byset A.D. 1305 (Hoare's Modern Wiltshire, Mere Hundred,
xxi). William Byset, son and heir of Robert Byset (25 Ed. I., 1302), has
lands in England and Scotland (Palgrave, p. 189). This William had been
taken prisoner in 1296, and liberated in 1297 on condition of serving the
English king in France (Rymer's Foed., ii. 773).

Try to make something of that and I'll be back with more, later.

Ron

"ABSCISSA VIRESCIT"

Ronald David Bissett

You're invited to visit the "Bissett Family History" web site at
http://www.bissett.or

This thread: