BISSETT-L Archives

Archiver > BISSETT > 2006-10 > 1160852701

From: "BILL BISSETT" <>
Subject: Re: [BISSETT] Finding a Bissett!
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 20:05:01 +0100

Dear James,

Thank you for your reply to my message, I have looked at your list and they
all appear to be familar to me but I will check them again (your correct in
your assumption that I have trawled all of the regular sources many times
and tracked down likely candidates to no avail). The English death
certificate as you rightly point out contains no additional information at
all, Jane's information was provided by her spouse and again place of birth
is 'Scotland.

The gravestones in England do not give maiden names as in the Highlands as
you rightly point out, but both David and Jane were buried in paupers graves
with others and no markers are put on common "mass" graves for individuals.
But I realy do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my mail.

Incidentally, I have been reading the various comments regarding Clan and
Sept etc.and can readily understand the sentiments on all sides; given the
history of the various Bissett families I do wonder at the Lord Lyon's
deliberations on the matter when families who would appear to have played a
lesser role in history are recognised as such. However, I do take great
comfort and delight in Hector McDonnell's GLENARM FRIARY AND THE BISSETT'S,
where he refers to a 1445 papal mandate referring to Semiquinus Machon (John
Bissett from whom the McEwan's and similar take their name{the McEwan's also
use the cut down tree as their emblem}) on a list of donors for the land for
the Friary before the MacDonnell's (Lord's of the Isles) as "Captain of his
Nation" a family title that perhaps out ranks most Clans and Septs and you
could argue with greater authority than Lord Lyon!

Regards

Bill