BLACKBURN-L Archives

Archiver > BLACKBURN > 1997-10 > 0877998857

From: Bruce Coonrod <>
Subject: Blackburn Farmstead
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:34:17 -0600

My Blackburns immigrated in about 1850 from Dublin, Ireland, and were in New York, so the following is not my line but more for southern Blackburn cousins.
In the November/December 1997 issue of the Tennessee Conservationist is an article by Jerry Lee Hutchens titled "Blackburn Farmstead Now Open for Tours."
According to the article, The Historic Blackburn Farmstead and Pioneer Museum in Lewis County was saved from destruction and is now open to the public.
Ambrose Blackburn and his wife, Frances, built the house in about 1806 after
Ambrose had served as a captain in the Revoluntionary War.
The article says that John Blackburn, a son, took over the homestead when Ambrose died in 1820. The Blackburn family then moved to Texas in 1853.
For a time in the 1840s, the Blackburn home served as the county court, with Lewis County doing business out in the parlor. The Circuit Court needed its own space, so it got the corncrib. The corncrib still stands.

Bruce Coonrod
Pierre, South Dakota