BLACKBURN-L Archives

Archiver > BLACKBURN > 2002-03 > 1017552333

From: Jeff Armstrong <>
Subject: [BLKBURN] Ambrose Blackburn, Sr., Surry County NC died 1779
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 00:34:47 -0500

I sure would like to make contact with anyone knowledgeable about the Ambrose Blackburn Sr. who died 1779 Surry Couty, NC.

Surry County records indicate he died abt. May 1779; and indicate he probably had a relative (possibly a brother?) Newman Blackburn who died 1771 and had wife Elizabeth, sons Younger, John, William and Reuben, daughter Mary.

My interest is because I may be descended from the John Armstrong who recorded in Jackson County, Georgia deed records the following:

"A deed of gift from Ambrose Blackburn Sr. for a Negro boy named Landman Dated 1771 proven and registered in Surry Co. NC. April 6th, 1772 by John Armstrong.

A grant for 600 acres of land in Surry Co., NC Dated Oct. 13th, 1783.

Ditto 1500 acres S. Carolina Ninety Six District Brushy Creek Dated April 2, 1787."

This deed of gift might suggest that John Armstrong married Ambrose Blackburn's daughter. Any help appreciated. Where did these Blackburn's come from to Surry County?

This thread: