BLAKENEY-L Archives

Archiver > BLAKENEY > 2004-11 > 1101737428

From: Harold Templeton <>
Subject: Re: [BLAKENEY] Chambers BLAKENEY
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:10:28 -0600

Dear Jennifere,

I have but one Elizabeth Bowerman in my database, married to William
Blakeney, Esq. I have no dates for either person but have the
following four sons:

1. Lord William Blakeney was born about 1672 in Mount Blakeney,
Limerick, Ireland and died September 20, 1761. He never married. It
appears that he visited the New World according to "New World
Immigrants" by Michael Tepper, Vol II 1979 Gen. Pub. Co. Pg. 298:
"Blakeney, Col. Wm. Regt. of List of Officers 1737 (T.)."

2. Charles Blakeney - I have no dates for him. He was *probably* the
father of Captain John Blakeney of South Carolina.

3. John Blakeney - again, no dates. He was *probably* the father of
Thomas Blakeney, Sr. (from whom I descend), Edward Blakeney, and James
Blakeney. Thomas was born about 1746 in England and married Hannah
(unknown last name) in the Presbyterian Church, New York City on May
22, 1766.

4. Robert Blakeney died 1763 in England and married Deborah Smyth. I
know of only one child, William Blakeney, Esq. (yes, another one!).

Here's what I have on William Blakeney, the father to the one married
to Elizabeth Bowerman:

DORMANT, EXTINCT PEERAGES
OF THE
BRITISH EMPIRE
BY
SIR BERNARD BURKE, C.B., LL.D.,
ULSTER KING OF ARMS,

GENEALOGICAL PUBLISHING CO., INC.
BALTIMORE 1978

P. 53 and 54

BLAKENEY--BARON BLAKENEY
By Letters Patent, dated 1756.

Lineage.
The Blakeney's originally of Norfolk, settled in Ireland, temp.
Elizabeth, the senior branch being now represented by John Blakeney,
Esq., of Abbert, Co. Galway. A younger brother of the ancestor of the
Abbert family.

William Blakeney, of Mount Blakeney, near Kilmallock, was father of
two sons, William and George. The younger was a colonel in the army;
the elder, William Blakeney, Esq., of Thomastown, Co. Limerick, was
father of four sons, William, Charles, John and Robert, of whom the
eldest, Sir William Blakeney, K.B., colonel of the 27th foot, and
lieutenant-general in the army, distinguished by his defence of
Stirling Castle in 1746, and Fort St. Philips in 1756, was raised to
the peerage of Ireland as Baron Blakeney in the latter year. His
lordship was for some time governor of Minorca. He d. s.p., 20
September, 1761, aged ninety-one, and was interred with great funeral
pomp in Westminster Abbey. With him the title became Extinct. His
lordship's brother, Robert Blakeney, Esq., of Mount Blakeney, co.
Limerick, whose will was proved in 1763, m. Deborah, dau. of Grice
Smyth, Esq., of Ballynatray, co. Waterford, and had issue, 1- William
Blakeney, Esq., of Mount Blakeney who m. Gertrude, dau. of Richard
Smyth, Esq., of Ballynatray, and was father of Rev. Robert Blakeney,
of Great Eaton, co. Somerset, who d. s.p. 1824; 2- Grice Blakeney,
lieutenant-general in the army, d. unm.; 1- Gertrude, m. Robert
Blakeney, Esq., of Abbert; and 2- Jane, m. Robert Uniacke Fitzgerald,
Esq., of Corkbegg, co. Cork, and was mother of Gertrude, wife of John
La Touche, Esq., of Harristown, co. Kildare.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If your great aunt's family Bible and other papers
are correct, then Lord William Blajeney was not unmarried and
childless and the records I've seen indicate. Here's an except
someone sent from Stirling Library, Scotland

BLAKENEY, WILLIAM, LORD BLAKENEY (1672-1761), the defender of Minorca,
was an Irishman of English descent, and was born at Mount Blakeney in
the county of Limerick in 1672. His father was a fairly wealthy
country gentleman, and represented the borough of Kilmallock in the
Irish House of Commons for many years, and expected his eldest son to
lead the same life as himself. But young William Blakeney caught the
martial enthusiasm of the Revolution period, and organized a small
military force in 1690, when only eighteen, out of his father's
tenants, with which he kept the Repparees at bay, and defended the
paternal estate. He was permitted to join the army in Flanders as a
volunteer, and won his ensigncy at the siege of Venloo in 1702. He
served through-out the campaigns of Marlborough as adjutant of his
regiment, and is said to have first exercised regiments by the beating
of drums and waving of colours, and even to have once exercised the
whole allied army in this way before certain German princes. After
the peace of Utrecht came a long period of peace, during which
promotion went by favour and by court or parliamentary influence,
which Blakeney did not possess, so that he was an old man of
sixty-five when he was at last promoted colonel in 1737. During this
long period he always remained with his regiment, taking a fatherly
interest in both officers and men, and never going on leave or running
after promotion. This long neglect was said to be due to the
misrepresentations of Lord Verney; but the Duke of Richmond, when
appointed colonel of his regiment, at last took notice of him, and
obtained him a command in the expedition to Carthagena, with the rank
of brigadier-general, in 1741. His services were highly appreciated,
and by the aid of the same powerful patron he was promoted
major-general in 1744, and made lieutenant-governor of Stirling
Castle. The Scottish insurrection of 1745 gave him his opportunity.
The high-landers besieged Stirling Castle, and Blakeney, to keep them
from joining the main body, allowed them to raise siege works for some
weeks. When, however, these siege works became formidable, he ordered
a sudden attack on the highlanders, who were utterly defeated and lost
three hundred men. His good service was not forgotten by George II,
who promoted him major-general in 1745, lieutenant-general in 1747,
and lieutenant-governor of the island of Minorca.

He at once went to Minorca, and as Lord Tyrawley, the governor,
preferred stopping at home, Blakeney was left in chief command for ten
years. He earnestly pressed for more men, and for money for repairs.
But the ministry of Pelham and Newcastle grudged money not spent in
maintaining their parliamentary majority, and neglected his
entreaties. On the breaking out of the Seven Years' War in 1756 an
expedition was hurriedly despatched from France under the debauchee
Duc de Richelieu and Admiral la Galissonniere against Minorca. The
French government well knew how the defences of Minorca had been
neglected, and that a rapid attack before reinforcements could reach
the garrison must be successful. Blakeney knew also that without
reinforcements he could not hold out long, but determined to wait
resolutely for those reinforcements. When Admiral Byng retreated all
hope was lost, and Blakeney after seventy days' defence of an almost
indefensible fortress, surrendered on the honourable terms that his
garrison was to be transported to Gibraltar, and not made prisoners of
war. The gallant defence of Minorca had greatly excited the minds of
the English people, and the veteran of eithty-four, who had never gone
to bed for seventy days, was as popular as Admiral Byng was execrated.
After giving truthful evidence at Byng's trial as to the state of
Minorca, Blakeney received great honours from George II, and was made
a knight of the Bath, colonel of the Enniskillen regiment of infantry,
and finally Lord Blakeney of Mount Blakeney in the peerage of Ireland.
He was M.P. for Kilmallock 1725-57. His popularity continued
unabated; a statue of him by Van Most was erected in Dublin; and when
he died, on 20 Sept. 1761, at the age of eighty-nine, he was buried,
amidst general mourning, in Westminster Abbey.

Blakeney was a soldier of the soldiers, always living among them,
enjoying his punch as well as any of them, and beloved by them. In
his family relations he was always exemplary; he used to live on his
pay, and to allow his brothers to live on his estate of Mount
Blakeney. One brother swindled him grossly (I don't know which of the
three brothers this would have been); but he made no change in his
arrangements, and merely transferred his estate to another brother
(this would have been Robert).

Hope this helps some.

--
Harold Templeton
Hoffman Estates, IL

CT: Barnes, Geer, Horsford, Lamb, Merritt, Richardson
KY: Shields
MA: Lamb, Merritt
NH: Lindsay, Morse, Templeton
NJ: Beam, Riker
NY: Austin, Blakeney, Gardinier, Mayo, Shields, Van Woert
VT: Davis, Geer, Johnson, Mayo, Templeton
Canada: Bonett, Elsey, Mayo