BLANKENSHIP-L Archives

Archiver > BLANKENSHIP > 2002-05 > 1020867849

Subject: Re: [BLANKENSHIP] Katherine Banks 1627-1686
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:24:09 EDT

writes:

<< I have this for Joseph, Katherine is my 10th great grand mother, does
anyone
have dates or other info? can you send a chart like this?
Who is Elizabeth Kennon? What are the sources other than WFT?
I had two Sarah Royals in my file so merged them, and oh dear, i am my own
cousin again...

Hi Sandra,

I have the whole family tree that I got from the researchers of the Royall
and Isham Family. Their sources are listed with the information as they
found it.
Sandra, I guess you could say we are all kin to Katherine Banks Royall Isham,
she was like the God Mother of early Virginia. You are kin on the Royall
line and I think I might come on the Isham side. This lady was also distant
kin to Thomas Jefferson, YEP the President of the U.S., and also John
Marshall.
OH Elizabeth Kennon, was the daughter of Richard Kennon, Richard Kennon is
the man some researchers think imported Ralph and got his headrights when
Ralph came to the US. All of this is in notes for Katherine and Ralph
below. PLEASE READ THE NOTES, I did not make them up. All of this
information was shared with me by the Royall family in hopes that we can get
the Blankenship line together. Again I will say I did not do the research on
any of this and I do not have proof of any of this. I received all of this
information from the Royall Family, who like us have been doing research on
their line for years and year. Their sources should be listed with the
information.

Descendants of Katherine Banks

Generation No. 1

1. KATHERINE2 BANKS (CHRISTOPHER1) was born 1627 in Northamptonshire,
England, and died December 01, 1686 in Henrico Co., VA. She married (1)
JOSEPH ROYAL, SR. Abt. 1645 in Henrico Co., VA. He died Bef. March 10,
1664/65. She married (2) HENRY ISHAM, SR. Aft. 1658, son of WILLIAM ISHAM
and MARY BRETT. He was born 1628 in England, and died Bet. 1678 - 1679 in
Henrico Co., VA.

Notes for KATHERINE BANKS:
1. This line from Maberon Meadows
2. Joseph Royal Sr. was dead by March 10, 1665. He and Katherine Banks Royall
had at least three children, whose names are known; Joseph Royall Jr, Sarah
Royall, who married John Wilkinson, and Katherine Royall who married Richard
Perrin. (He also may have been the father of William, Richard And Henry as
well as a daughter who married Richard Dennis And another daugher who married
Machel Marshall. When Joseph died in about 1665, Katherine was a wealthy
woman and married a second time to Henry Isham, Sr. of Bermueda Hundred
Plantation in Virginia. According to custom, Joseph Royall's estate became
the property of the new husband. Henry Isham added another wing onto the
residence which was enhanced with tall pines and an English Flower Garden and
was enclosed within a white picket fence. Katherine and Henry Isham were the
leaders of Virginia Society at that time. They had three children together.
Mary , who married William Randolph , Anne who married Francis Eppes and
Henry Isham, Jr who died as a young unmarried man; he was lost at sea. In his
will dated 11/13/1678, her son left Katherine, his mother one third of his
property which was in both VA and England. Through this second marrriage,
Katherine is the direct ancestor of Thomas Jefferson and John Marshall.
Katherine's daughter Mary Isham was a much-courted belle in the scattered
plantation society of the region. She was a charming young lady, known to
play a musical instrument called a cittern. William Randolph married Mary
Isham and they have been called the "Adam and Eve of Virginia".
Social Life in Virginia in the 17th Century by P.A. Bruce, & The Wm and Mary
Quarterly Historical Magazine 1915 pp 116-142

Children of KATHERINE BANKS and JOSEPH ROYAL are:
2. i. Jane Sarah3 Royall.
3. ii. Joseph Royall, Jr., Capt., b. 1646, Doghams, Charles City, VA; d. May
07, 1722, Bristol Parish, Henrico Co., VA.
iii. Katherine Royall, m. Richard Perrin.

Children of KATHERINE BANKS and HENRY ISHAM are:
iv. Henry3 Isham, Jr., d. Bet. 1678 - 1679, Henrico Co., VA.

Notes for Henry Isham, Jr.:
1. lost at sea.

v. Phoebe Isham, b. Henrico Co. VA; m. Robert Belcher, 1669, Henrico Co.
VA.
vi. Mary Isham, b. Bermuda Hundred, VA; d. December 29, 1735, Henrico Co.
VA; m. William Randolph, Abt. 1680, Henrico Co. VA; b. Abt. 1651, England.
4. vii. Ann Fitzhugh Isham, b. 1665.

Generation No. 2

2. JANE SARAH3 ROYALL (KATHERINE2 BANKS, CHRISTOPHER1) She married JOHN
WILKINSON Abt. 1735 in Amelia, VA, son of JOHN WILKINSON and FRANCES ELAM.
He was born Abt. 1715.

Children of JANE ROYALL and JOHN WILKINSON are:
5. i. Sarah4 Wilkinson, b. 1740, North Carolina; d. 1810, Rutherford Co.,
NC.
6. ii. Edith Wilkinson, b. Abt. 1733; d. 1826, Campbell Co., VA.
iii. Stephen Wilkinson.

3. JOSEPH3 ROYALL, JR., CAPT. (KATHERINE2 BANKS, CHRISTOPHER1) was born 1646
in Doghams, Charles City, VA, and died May 07, 1722 in Bristol Parish,
Henrico Co., VA. He married (1) MARY ARCHER. She was born Abt. 1646. He
married (2) MARY EPPS 1680 in Henrico Co., VA, daughter of FRANCIS EPPS and
SARAH ?. She was born in Henrico Co., VA.

Child of JOSEPH ROYALL and MARY EPPS is:
i. Sarah Ann4 Royall, b. Abt. 1691; m. Charles Hudson, 1714, New Kent,
VA; b. 1691, Hanover, VA; d. 1748.

4. ANN FITZHUGH3 ISHAM (KATHERINE2 BANKS, CHRISTOPHER1) was born 1665. She
married FRANCIS EPPES. He was born 1659.

Children of ANN ISHAM and FRANCIS EPPES are:
i. Francis4 Eppes.
ii. Elizabeth Eppes.

Generation No. 3

5. SARAH4 WILKINSON (JANE SARAH3 ROYALL, KATHERINE2 BANKS, CHRISTOPHER1) was
born 1740 in North Carolina, and died 1810 in Rutherford Co., NC. She
married ISHAM BLANKENSHIP, SR. Abt. 1756, son of JOHN BLANKENSHIP and
ELIZABETH HUDSON. He was born Abt. 1738 in Chesterfield Co., Va, and died
Abt. 1805 in Cane Creek, Rutherford Co., N.C.

Notes for SARAH WILKINSON:
1. might be SARAH WALLACE
2. "You have Hudson married to an Archer. That came from the Colonel's book,
I think, withoutany reference or proof. There is a will in Amelia Co. VA of
John Wilkinson written 1773 in which he named daughters Edith Blankenship and
Sarah Blankenship. Edith the wife of Hudson is the only Edith around so not
a problem.
Isham, however, is a problem. His wife is Sarah. And John Wilkinson had
a daughter Sarah Blankenship but so did John and Mary Wallace of Amelia Co.
I believe that the wife of Isham was possibly (and probably) a Wallace
because Zachariah, son of Isham and Sarah, married Edith, daughter of Hudson
and Edith. I do think there is reason to raise a question, since there is
another Sarah Blankenship in the area at the same time. John and Mary
Wallace also had a daughter Mary (molly) Blankenship. There is no way to
prove which Sarah is which - or at least I haven't found it. (The only clue
I have found is a deed linking widow Mary Wallace and John Blankenship to
joint ownership of a piece of land with the stipulation that she can live on
it as long as she lives)"
Betty Carson

Notes for ISHAM BLANKENSHIP, SR.:
1. This line from Jerry Blankenship,
2. Isham patented land in Bedford Co., VA. in 1764 and in Campbell Co., VA
in 1769.He was listed among those swearing allegiance to the state on Oct 11
1777. Isham was on the Franklin Co., VA. tax list in 1786,87,93 and 94. In
1797 he was exempt from taxes in Franklin Co. He was enumerated in Rutherford
Co., North Carolina in the 1800 census

Children of SARAH WILKINSON and ISHAM BLANKENSHIP are:
i. Rhoda5 Blankenship, m. John Blankenship, August 29, 1798, Franklin
Co., VA; b. Abt. 1779.
ii. Hezekiah Blankenship, b. September 13, 1757, Franklin Co., Va; d.
February 28, 1816, Macon Co., TN; m. Rhoda Meador, February 28, 1791,
Franklin Co., Va; b. March 10, 1770; d. May 04, 1862, Macon Co., TN.

Notes for Hezekiah Blankenship:
1. This line from Leona Blankenship
2. Apparently the Blankenships were a rowdy frontier clan as indicated by the
following exerpt from early Franklin Co., Va court records in the Franklin
County Bicentennial Commision's "History of Franklin County"..."The wording
in assault cases often was more dramatic than the actual event. In November
1786 for example, Samuel Dillion charged that Barnett, Elijah, Elisha,
Hezekiah, Isham(jr.), Isham(Sr.), John and William Blankenship, with 'swords,
Clubs, Fists upon the said plaintiff...an assault did make and him did beat
wound and ill treat so that of his life it was greatly despaired.' Either
Dillion exaggerated or the Blankenships were remarkably inept; eventually his
suit-for 500 lbs in damages- was dismissed.
3. Some have him as Robert Hezekiah Blankenship
4. Hi Jim,
Thanks for the latest Isham Blankenship file. Its really getting to be pretty
hefty, huh. I have noticed that your list of the children of Hezekiah and
Rhoda Meador Blankenship includes a couple of sons who are not usually found
there. Lewis and Thomas, born in 1802 and 1804, are new to me. Actually, it
seems pretty unlikely to me that they could be Hezekiah's sons. Hezekiah and
Rhoda's children are pretty well documented in court records. As Hezekiah
married late (34) and died young (59) several of his children were minors at
the time of his death and were listed in Smith Co. TN court records
appointing Rhoda as their guardian. Children born in 1802 and 1804 would have
been included and Lewis and Thomas were
not. Later records which discussed disposition of land by heirs of Hezekiah
also did not mention the two. Finally, Hezekiah and Rhoda moved from Franklin
Co. VA to Smith Co. TN in 1810. Your data shows Lewis having children born in
Franklin Co. Surely he would not have stayed behind as an eight year old
child. I wonder how certain the submitter of the data is about it. Thanks
again, Jerry
( Need help in moving Lewis and Tomas. Where do I place them?)
5. "Rhoda says in Rev. war Pension Application that they married Mar 4, 1791"
Leona Blankenship

More About Hezekiah Blankenship:
Burial: Haysville Cem. Macon Co., TN

iii. Elizabeth Blankenship, b. Abt. 1759.
iv. Elisha Blankenship, b. Abt. 1760, Clearwater Run, Chesterfield Co.,
VA; d. June 02, 1844, Cand Creek, Rutherford Co., NC; m. Elizabeth Ross,
1790, Bedford, Chesterfield Co., VA; b. November 03, 1773, Goochland, VA; d.
December 30, 1839, Cand Creek, Rutherford Co., NC.

Notes for Elisha Blankenship:
1. This line from Paula Chandler Estes

v. William Blankenship, Sr., b. Va; d. July 06, 1835, Pike Co., Ky; m.
(1) Martha Riggens, Abt. 1779, Chesterfield Co., VA; b. Abt. 1761; m. (2)
Molly Trent, Aft. 1807; b. Abt. 1775.

Notes for William Blankenship, Sr.:
1. This line from Bonnie Varney

vi. Zachariah Blankenship, b. Abt. 1764; m. Edith Blankenship, January
29, 1784; b. Abt. 1766.
vii. Elijah Blankenship, b. 1766, Virginia; d. Abt. 1830, McMinn Co,
TN; m. (2) Judith Snow, January 05, 1787, at the Quaker Meeting House; b.
Abt. 1770.
viii. Presley Blankenship, b. November 20, 1767, Chesterfield Co., VA;
d. 1820, Yancey Co., North Carolina; m. Frances Ross, December 24, 1791,
Franklin Co., Va; b. 1775, Franklin Co., VA; d. Yancy Co., NC.

Notes for Presley Blankenship:
1. This line from Cecil H. Bryan
2. Sam Blankenship shows Presley as the son of Elisha
Blankenship, Isham's Brother

ix. Isham Blankenship, Jr., b. 1763; d. Aft. December 1836, Monroe Co.,
TN; m. (1) Susannah Lane, Abt. 1778, Monroe Co., TN; m. (2) Polly Chambers,
1799, Rutherford Co., NC.

Notes for Isham Blankenship, Jr.:
1. This line from Linda Runyon

x. Barnett Blankenship, b. July 12, 1768, Franklin Co., VA; d. 1848,
Macon Co., TN; m. Bersheba Meador, October 15, 1792, Franklin Co., VA; b.
Abt. 1776.
xi. David Blankenship, b. Abt. 1773, Chesterfield Co., Va; d. January
1815, Greene Co,. Ga; m. (1) Susanna Stringer, December 25, 1798,
Chesterfield Co., VA; b. Abt. 1778; d. Abt. 1804, Prob. Hancock Co., Ga; m.
(2) Jenny Ellis, 1806, Hancock Co,. GA.

Notes for David Blankenship:
1. This line from Anne Price Mackenzie
2.Ct. record said David was in Hancock Co. with Daniel, Reuben and Hezekiah
Blankenship. David was on the 1812 Hancock tax list with Daniel

6. EDITH4 WILKINSON (JANE SARAH3 ROYALL, KATHERINE2 BANKS, CHRISTOPHER1) was
born Abt. 1733, and died 1826 in Campbell Co., VA. She married HUDSON
BLANKINSHIP 1755 in VA, son of JOHN BLANKENSHIP and ELIZABETH HUDSON. He was
born Abt. 1729 in Chesterfield Co., Va, and died 1814 in Winfall, Campbell
Co., VA.

Notes for HUDSON BLANKINSHIP:
1. Burial: 1812, Buried just below "Red House" which he had built, also as
home to three generations (120 years) before being sold
2. Name spelled Blankinship in will; Campbell Co., Virginia, Jan. 11, 1813,
Book 3 page 208

More About HUDSON BLANKINSHIP:
Burial: Winfall, Campbell Co., VA

Children of EDITH WILKINSON and HUDSON BLANKINSHIP are:
i. Henry5 Blankenship, b. Abt. 1756, Chesterfield Co., VA; m. Nancy
Potter, January 06, 1782, Campbell Co., VA.

Notes for Henry Blankenship:
1. Revolutionary War Soldier

ii. Archibald Blankenship, b. Abt. 1758, Virginia; d. 1861; m. Prudence
Condoy, October 08, 1794, Virginia.

Notes for Archibald Blankenship:
1. Revolutionary War Soldier

iii. Daniel Blankenship, b. February 05, 1761, Chesterfield Co., VA;
d. June 29, 1849, Coosa Co., AL.

Notes for Daniel Blankenship:
1. Revolutionary War Soldier
2. "Pension Appl. of Daniel Blankenship; 6 Apr 1854 Coosa Co., Ala. James
H. (X) Epperson and Mellisa (X) Little John declare Daniel Blankenship died
29 June 1849. His wife had been dead
many years, but he left living children: Mary Ann Blankenship, aged 50;
Solomon Blankenship, aged 48; Henry Blankenship, aged 46; Edmond
Blankenship, aged 44; Fanny Blankenship, aged 42.
27 Aug 1853 Coosa Co. Ala. Elizabeth (X) Blankenship declares Daniel
Blankenship who enlisted for three years and served until the war ended, came
home one month after her husband, Reubin Blankenship did and remained in her
neighborhood all the time afterward until they moved to Georgia.
After one year Daniel came out and lived close to them. In 1818 they all
moved to Alabama and he lived near them until his death 29 June 1849. She
knows of no other Blankenships in that country, but the brothers Henry,
Reubin and Daniel who served in the war. Daniel left children: Solomon, Mary
Ann, Henry, Edmond, and Fanny." Hope this makes sense. Dorothy Hettinga

iv. Reuben Blankenship, b. 1763, Chesterfield Co., Va; d. October 27,
1850, Hatchet Creek, Coosa Co., Alabama; m. Elizabeth Wilkenson, 1784,
Virginia; b. 1760, Virginia; d. CAmpbell Co., VA.

Notes for Reuben Blankenship:
1. Revolutionary War Soldier

More About Reuben Blankenship:
Burial: Poplar Springs Cem.,Coosa Co.,AL

v. Edith Blankenship, b. Abt. 1766; m. Zachariah Blankenship, January
29, 1784; b. Abt. 1764.
vi. Sally Blankenship, b. Abt. 1767; m. Benjamin Chaulkey, February 16,
1784.
vii. Obedience Blankenship, b. Abt. 1770; m. Thomas Cochran.
viii. Phebie Blankenship, b. Abt. 1771, Campbell Co., VA; d. Abt. 1860,
Pittsylvania Co., VA; m. Leonard Colbert, November 23, 1790, Campbell Co., VA.
ix. Jesse Blankenship, b. 1765, Chesterfield Co., VA; m. Molly Jane
Worsham, 1783, Halifax Co, VA.

Notes for Jesse Blankenship:
1. This line from Jean Hinkle
2. After his marriage Jessie lived in Bedford Co, VA about 20 years. In 1806
he moved to Cumberland Co, KY. He lived in the part of Cumberland that later
became Russell Co. KY
3. Revolutionary War Soldier
4. I am trying to pin point when Jesse son of Hudson BLANKENSHIP died. Jesse
gave a Deposition in Russell Co, KY in July 1853 when he was 88 years olds

x. Prudence Blankenship, b. Abt. 1781; m. Thomas Mann, September 30,
1800.
xi. Nancy Blankenship, b. Abt. 1782; m. Obediah Henry Trent, December 09,
1810.
xii. Loraine Rainey Blankenship, b. Abt. 1783; m. M. R. Johnson,
January 26, 1802.
xiii. Elizabeth Betsy Blankenship, b. Abt. 1784; m. Richard W. Hicks,
May 02, 1802, Campbell County, Virginia; b. 1787, Virginia.
xiv. Hezekiah Blankenship, b. Abt. 1785; d. 1826, Morgan Co., AL; m.
Nancy Polly Potter, August 29, 1798, Franklin Co., VA.

Notes for Hezekiah Blankenship:
1. This line from Kim Ferguson
2. 1805, Georgia Land Lottery, Drew Lot #24 in the 14th District of Baldwin
Co., consisting of 202 acres

xv. John Blankenship, b. 1788.

This thread: