BLEVINS-L Archives

Archiver > BLEVINS > 2010-05 > 1272942199

From: "Les Blevins" <>
Subject: Re: [BLEVINS] Whitetop Band of Cherokees
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 22:03:19 -0500

Ron, thanks for your input.

Please take time to look through this below information, pick it apart and
tell us what is correct and what isn't according to your research.

I would really like to know for example if the info on William H. Blevins is
correct or not. Add your comments after each paragraph please.

It was found at; http://home.insightbb.com/~toniherzog/Blevins.htm

--------------

>From records, it would appear that around 1750, Edward "Ned" Sizemore left
Virginia for South Carolina, where he lived for about fifteen years, then
spent about eight years in Georgia before appearing on a Surry Co., North
Carolina tax list in 1774. In 1776, he signed a loyalty oath in Virginia.
Records further indicate that Ned and his sons Owen and George were
apparently Tories during the Revolutionary War, and it is likely that Ned
was the "the Tory Sizemore" hung by Colonel Benjamin Cleveland in
Wilkesboro, NC in 1780. In 1781, South Carolina Loyalists pay records
include Edward, Owen, and George Sizemore. (If Edward "Ned" was indeed hung
in 1780, the Edward on this list would likely be Ned's son.)

The woman believed by some to be Ned's mother, Hart Jackson, was said to be
a member of the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, likely a member of the
Whitetop Laurel Band. The Eastern Band of Cherokees were those (and are
today their descendents) who, in the late 1830's, remained in the mountains
of North Carolina rather than be forced to march the infamous "Trail of
Tears" to Oklahoma. It is also said that Edward "Ned" Sizemore, who married
Elizabeth Jackson, was Chief of the Whitetop Laurel band for a short time
prior to his death. Elizabeth's parents, William Jackson and Dorcas Green,
were also said to be part Cherokee, and William Jackson was probably related
to Hart Jackson.

Later, William H. Blevins, son of Armstrong Blevins and grandson of Lydia
Sizemore Blevins became Chief of the Whitetop Band and worked to procure the
government's reimbursement for the Sizemore claimants. These applications
provide a lot of first hand knowledge and memories about the
Blevins/Sizemore ancestors. Celia Hart, a descendant of James Blevins and
Lydia Sizemore, stated, "I have seen Ned Sizemore, and have seen Lydia
Sizemore . She was a red-faced woman with dark hair . My grandmother's
father (Edward "Ned") was always called a full-blooded Indian." Frances
Woody's application described Ned Sizemore as "a great, big-boned fellow.
His hair was long and straight, he had a beard, and his complexion was dark,
and he had high cheekbones." Claborn Pennington said, "Old Ned Sizmore
lived on a creek called Blackwater, that ran into Clinch River." He goes on
to say the Sizemores "were farmers, like everyone else in that day and time.
I suppose they were recognized white people, for there was nothing about
Indian or Negro in those days. Owen Sizemore was a tolerable dark, heavy
set man, with black hair and beard, George Sizemore was not quite as dark as
old Ned, but he was kind of dark." One application said that Ned came from
the Catawba Nation, but if this is true, it is still possible for him to
have become a Cherokee, as the Cherokees took in remnants of many defeated
bands and tribes. Besides which, I personally doubt he could have been
full-blooded considering the Jamestown connection. It is much more likely
that an earlier Sizemore man married an Indian woman, or even that this
occurred several times over several generations.

Despite the efforts of William Blevins, over time, all the Sizemore claims
were rejected by the federal government on the grounds that it did not
appear "any of the claimants or their immediate ancestors ever lived as
Indians with the Cherokee Nation or with the Eastern Cherokees."