BLEVINS-L Archives

Archiver > BLEVINS > 2012-06 > 1338634488

Subject: [BLEVINS] Dillon Asher - Clay County & Laurel County
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 06:54:48 -0400 (EDT)

kykinfolk.com/laurel/photoasher5.html

Submitted by Bradley Asher
This is a photograph of Dillion Asher and his Brother William Asher Jr. Both are sons of William Asher Sr. Dillion Asher is My Great Great Grandfather, he was born on Oct. 15, 1777, his wife Sarah "Sally"Davis is my family line, she was a sister to Nancy Davis. Both are daughters of Richard and Elizabeth Preston Davis. Dillion was born in Washington Co, NC. His wife Sarah Davis was born in 1787 in Russell Co, VA. Old Dillion Asher Died on May 8,1844, he is buried on a knoll just above his Log Cabin with many of his Children at Queens-Dale in Red Bird, Ky (Clay County,Ky). Not much is known about William some think that William was Dillion's Cousin but instead they were brothers.

>From Owen Blevins' website:

The Last Will of Dillian Asher - Deceased

I, Dillian Asher, of Clay County, State of Kentucky, knowing the uncertainty of life, and being desirous of making a distribution of my estate, amongst my children (some of whom are illigitmate) upon equitable and just principles, deeming myself under obligations to provide for all entertaining their feeling, I do hereby make this my last will and testiment. That my body be decently buried and my funeral expenses paid.

All my just debts which are few, to be paid.

It is my will and desire that my lawful wife at the time of my decease, shall have one third of my real estate during her natural life and such part of my personal estate as is allowed by and after this request. It is my wish and desire that all the residue of my property whether real or personal, be equally and justly divided between the following persons, who are my children; towit, William B. Asher, Orrah Roberts, Robert Asher, John Asher, Peggy Farmer, Elizabeth Asher, they being the children of my lawful wife, and also I make the following named children of Sally Davis my equal heirs,believing them to be my children, Polly Amis, Wilkerson Asher, Jackson Asher, James Farmer Asher, Chester Asher, and it is further my will and desire that all the above named persons who may be of age at the time of my decease, may have if they choose to take it, whatever portion of the personal property that may be coming to them at valuation, and the residue of the property sold and its proceeds divided equally amongst the children who are not of age, but it is understood all the parts are to be equal.

I do appoint George Stivers and James Love executors to this, my lastwill in full confidence that they will do equal justice to all my children, and carry into effect its true intent and meaning.

In testimony whereof I have hereinto set my hand and seal this 8th day of November - 1830. Dillian Asher.

C. W. White
R. Russell

Signed and sealed in our presence.

State of Kentucky
Clay County Sct.

I, William Woodcock, Clerk of the County Court aforesaid, certify thatthe foregoing, purported to be the last will and testament of Dillian Asher, dec'd, was produced to the Court at this October term thereof -1844, and proved by Richard Russell, one of the subscribing witnesses thereto, which was ordered to be recorded, whereupon the same,together with the foregoing certificate have been duly admitted to record in my office.
Given under my hand this 28th day of December, 1844.
Att. William Woodcock, Clk."

Dillon Asher, born 5 Oct 1774 in VA, moved into the mountains of KY with the first settlers. He got into a dispute with Evan Shelby, brother of Kentucky's first governor, over a piece of land near what is Pineville. Warned by an Indian friend that Shelby was going to have him killed, Dillon fled toward the present Harlan County, where he claimed land and named it after his Indian friend, Red Bird. That settlement and creek still bear the name. Some of his numerous children were: Dillon, Jr., Robert, John, Sally, Pug, Peggy,Wilkerson, Polly, Betsey, Jackson Davis, Preston, James Farmer, Josiah, China, Chester, Andrew Jackson, and William.

Dillion lived near Pineville soon after coming to Kentucky from Tennessee. He was keeper of the toll gate which was established near Pineville in 1795. Later he moved near the head of Red Bird River where he reared a large family. According to a historical highway marker nearby, the log cabin was first build before 1800. Near the cabin is the Asher family cemetery where he and many members of his family are buried.

Dr. John J. Dickey Diary, Fleming County, Ky. Recorded in the 1870's and beyond. Reprinted in Kentucky Explorer, Volume 10, No 6 - November,1995. p. 86.

Augustus Asher - June 23, 1898.
My grandfather, Dillon Asher, came from Tennessee to Ford of Cumberlands in 1800, moved to Red Bird. His wife was Sally Davis.Their children: BLEVINS, Robert, John, Ira (Roberts), "Pug" (Henry Sizemore). There were others, I do not remember them. By Miss Davis, his wife's sister, he had children that took the name of Asher as follows: Jackson, Wilkerson, and Joshia who still lives and I think,Preston Asher was their brother. Bige, Matt, Jackson, Hugh, Tom and Dillon Asher are sons of Jackson. These are the men that have become so wealthy. All are worth more than Bige and he is probably worth 25,000 dollars. Jack, said to be worth $300,000, Matt, $200,000, Tom lives at Masiota, worth $3000,000. Hugh lives at Pineville, also Jack, though they have houses near Lexington. Matt, Jack and Hugh were famous lumbermen who started booming logs on the Kentucky Riverat Ford; they made big money. Their sisters are Mrs. Martha Morgan; Charity Howard; Puss, Bige Morgan of Sexton; Polly Gibson.

Dr. John J. Dickey Diary, Fleming County, Ky. Recorded in the 1870's and beyond. Reprinted in Kentucky Explorer, Volume 11, No March, 1997,p. 107. By permission. Clay County.

RED BIRD
The Indian chief for whom Red Bird Creek in Clay County was named was probably a Cherokee from Tennessee or North Carolina. Like others of his race, he was a great hunter and allured by the game in this remote region he finally took up his residence on the creek that bears his name at the mouth of Jack's Creek in this county. He came to his death by the avarice of the "pale face." There lived with him a crippled Indian named Willie. This man dressed the skins which Red Bird brought to their wigwam and looked after the culinary department of their house. Some hunters from North Carolina, greedy and unscrupulous, came to the wigwam and murdered Willie. They then secreted themselves and awaited the return of the brave chief who had long before buried his tomahawk and for years had been living in peace with the white man, and as he approached his crude castle the bullet of an assassin laid him in the dust. They threw his body into a hole of water nearaby which is still called "Willie's Hole," and from which John Gilbert and others took him and buried him. One tradition is that he was sitting on the bank of a creek fishing when he was shot and that he fell into the creek.

This thread: