BOARD-L Archives

Archiver > BOARD > 2008-05 > 1210881849

From: "Tina S. Vickery" <>
Subject: [BOARD] Update on mastheads for pages hosted on RootsWeb
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:04:09 -0400

*Please forward to all USGenWeb Project lists*

I am forwarding this at the request of David Graham, Sr. Product
Manager RootsWeb.com

Tina Vickery
National Coordinator
USGenWeb Project

-----------------

Dear USGenWeb coordinators,

For those of you with pages hosted on RootsWeb.com we wanted to give
you an update on our plan for including a small masthead at the top of
hosted pages on RootsWeb. We love being able to host your page and
other pages that help the family history community so much, and adding
this small masthead to acknowledge our hosting service allows us to
continue to be able to offer this free hosting service as well as
other services.

The mastheads will be included on pages as early as May 21st. The
standard masthead can be viewed here:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/rootsweb/samples_mastheads/masthead_General.jpg

As a USGenWeb coordinator you will also have the option to use a
USGenWeb specific masthead. It can be viewed here:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/rootsweb/samples_mastheads/masthead_USGenWeb.jpg

To get the USGenWeb masthead on your page instead of the standard one
all you need to do is place a file named "banner_select" in your
public_html directory. It should contain the text "USGENWEB" (all
caps and without the quotation marks) and nothing else.

Thanks for your support on this minor change. We love hosting your
page and this allows us to continue to offer this free hosting
service.

On another note, we also wanted to let you know that in the coming
months we will be releasing a new feature that will make it easier for
you to make sure that other people can find your page on RootsWeb. It
will let you enter some information about your page to get it included
in a new search feature built to find pages hosted on RootsWeb. For
hosted pages related to the USGenWeb Project, we will also create a
specialized page that will surface all of the pages that are
associated with the project. We hope to be able to link to this
listing of hosted USGenWeb pages from the RootsWeb homepage. As this
project comes closer to completion we will let you know more about it.

Thanks,

DAVID GRAHAM

Sr. Product Manager RootsWeb.com
Part of The Generations Network