BOARD-L Archives

Archiver > BOARD > 2008-07 > 1214935692

From: "Tina S. Vickery" <>
Subject: [BOARD] DISCUSSION: Grievance Committee
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 14:08:12 -0400

Over the past several weeks, I have been subscribed to the
"private" Grievance Committee list.

They have failed to communicate to me:

Who is on the committee, or the terms they are seated to fill;

Of committee members that did respond to my questions, (two
individuals), agreed to a slate that does not satisfy the
representation of roles mandated by the Grievance Committee
Procedures: "The Grievance Committee shall consist of seven
members of The USGenWeb Project in good standing. The panel
must include a State Coordinator and a member of the Special
projects and three County Coordinators/Local Coordinators who
have not served as State Coordinator or in a national level
position within the last three years.";

They have no chair; The individual that was chosen as chair
has moved into a mediator position and a replacement chair has
not been selected or seated;

They do not utilize their public list for purposes mandated by
the Grievance Procedures;

They do not utilize the web account assigned to them;

They are unable to tell me who the mediators and arbitrators
are.

---

I could, not accept the slate and return it to them to do
correctly per the Procedures, but I truly believe there is
neither an interest, inclination nor knowledge of those seated
to do it properly as outlined in the Grievance Procedures.

A functional Grievance Committee is mandated by our Bylaws
ARTICLE XIV. Grievance Procedures And Appeals Process.

---

I have given this a lot of thought over the past few days, and
I believe a few things need to happen:

We need to amend the procedures to allow the National
Coordinator to be subscribed to the "private" list. The
National Coordinator is the administrator of the list. S/he
should be subscribed and re-subscribed as the discussion
necessitates. Per the USGenWeb Project Bylaws the National
Coordinator is an ex-officio member of all committees.

Until recently, the National Coordinator has not been
subscribed to the list as there are pending grievances against
the Advisory Board and/or National Coordinator. The
subscription and re-subscription of the National Coordinator
needs to be articulated clearly in the Procedures;

The Grievance Committee Procedures call for 7 members, but
further goes on to list only how 5 of those positions are to be
filled. Now perhaps it at the discretion of the committee with
the approval of the Advisory Board, but if that is the case the
Procedures should state that.

And lastly, I believe we need a motion to recall the committee
that is now seated, and from the list of recent volunteers
start over with:

---

Section 1 - Committee Qualifications & Appointments. The
Advisory Board will vote to make the initial appointments to
the Grievance Committee after soliciting volunteers for the
committee, posting their qualifications for comment by USGenWeb
Project members on the BOARD-L, each of the Regional lists, and
any other official project lists deemed necessary. Of the
initial appointments four (4) will be for two-year terms, and
three (3) for one-year terms. The Advisory Board will appoint
the Grievance Coordinator for the initial term for a period of
one year.

Future vacancies within the Grievance Committee will be filled
by USGenWeb Project members in the following manner: The
Grievance Coordinator will solicit volunteers for the position,
and post their qualifications for comment. Volunteers will be
chosen by a vote of Grievance Committee members, and presented
to the Advisory Board for approval.

Future appointments as Grievance Coordinator will be by vote of
the Grievance Committee members. Elections will be for a two-
year term.

---

Discussion, please.

Tina Vickery